Tax refunds calculator

Use our simple tax refund calculator below to get an estimate of how much tax you could claim back*. Once you have filled in your details and it looks like you are due a tax refund, simply fill in your contact details and we'll start the process of getting your money back.

Tax Calculator

Tax years claimed for

Income and Expenses

Miles Travelled in Your Own Vehicle

* Please note this calculation is based on an estimate and using the information you provided. Contact us for an exact calculation of your tax refund

Tax Refund Calculator

How does the tax calculator work?

Our tax refund calculator will help you to understand whether you qualify for a refund from HMRC. Simply fill out your occupation, mileage details and any public transport costs and if you are due a tax refund, our tax calculator will give you the estimated figure.

Our tax calculator will also let you know if you need to do a self assessment tax return if you are self employed which is a service we also provide at RIFT. The tax rebate calculator will even let you know if you could potentially owe tax but this is very rare. There might be an occasion where you can't claim a tax refund but this is actually good news as it means that you have paid the right amount of tax so you have nothing to worry about. 

At RIFT, the average 4 year tax refund claim is £2,500 so we made sure that our tax refund calculator lets you look at the last 4 years. You'll have to calculate each tax year separately as each year tax boundaries and personal allowances as well as things like tax codes alter so by doing each one separately, you'll get an accurate estimate on any tax refund you could be due. 

Start My Claim

Tax Refund Calculator

Using tax calculators

When you're self-employed, calculating your tax the right way is incredibly important. You'll use the Self Assessment system to work out how much tax you owe to HMRC. It's designed to be as simple as possible, but even a slight mistake can leave you paying too much. Tax calculators like ours can give you an estimate of what you could be owed. The tax rules change often, and staying up to date can be tricky.

RIFT are experts in Self Assessment tax returns. We keep track of all the latest regulations and industry-specific rules. If you're owed an Income Tax refund, we'll calculate it for you and help you to claim it. A lot of people miss out on their tax rebates because they don't know what expenses they can claim for. With RIFT making the calculations for you, you'll always get the most out of your refund. That means fewer headaches and more cash back in your pocket.

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny​

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagree with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Learn more

Tax Rebate Calculator

How do I calculate my take home pay after tax?

The main things that make up the calculation are:

  • Your tax-free Personal Allowance. For most people, it means you won't pay tax on the first £11,000 you make. There are a few circumstances that can change it, though.
  • Any pensions you've got, whatever kind they are.
  • Your National Insurance Contributions. Depending on your situation, these might include PAYE (Class 1), CIS and Self Employed (Class 2 and Class 4) or other types.
  • Your Income Tax is divided into bands. Depending on your circumstance you might find yourself paying a combination of the basic, higher or additional rates.
  • Salary sacrifices, for things like pensions or childcare vouchers.

Tax Refund Calculations

Is the calculation of my tax and take home pay based only on my salary?

No. Lots of things are taken into account when your tax bill is calculated. Examples include:

  • If you're married and either of you was born before April 6th 1935, you could be saving on your tax bill with the Married Couples Allowance. If you’re both younger than that, you could still take advantage of the new Marriage Allowance. This lets one of you transfer some of your tax-free Personal Allowance to the other.
  • If you're registered blind, you get an extra tax-free chunk of income on top of your Personal Allowance.
  • There are several different rates for National Insurance Contributions and they all make a difference to your tax bill.
  • If you're having payments toward a student loan deducted from your pay, your tax can be affected. How that works will depend on the loan scheme you're on and whether you're employed or self-employed.
  • If you work abroad for a UK employer, you'll pay UK tax. If you're working for a foreign employer, things might be different. You can find more details on HMRC’s website along with the Overseas Income Assessment forms you need if you are abroad for more than 3 months. If you are a RIFT customer we will take care of all this for you as part of our tax refunds and self assessment service.
  • Your sex and date of birth can make a difference to what your tax-free personal allowance should be, and also affect your retirement age.
  • There are all sorts of allowances and deductions that can change your calculation. For more about tax allowances and deductions see our tax codes page.
  • Your tax code is the basis of your whole calculation, so it needs to be right. The first thing it does is show how much you can earn before paying tax. However, it can also list any special rates or circumstances that apply. Many people find the tax code system confusing. Take a look at our HMRC tax codes explained pages to find out more.
  • If you're self employed or working within CIS (the Construction Industry Scheme), a number of specific rules apply to your tax calculation. For example, NICs will be made under Class 4 and Class 2. RIFT is the UK leader in CIS tax refunds, so definitely get in touch if this affects you.
  • If you have a “salary sacrifice” for some benefits from your employer, it needs to be taken into account for your tax calculation. A salary sacrifice is what happens when you agree to take less money in exchange for getting things like childcare vouchers.
  • If you regularly contribute into a pension plan, the amount you contribute and the type of pension plan that you have will affect your tax calculation.

Tax Refund Calculations

Is it true I can claim mileage tax relief?

Yes! If you travel for work, you may be able to claim a tax refund on your expenses. HMRC has a system called Approved Mileage Allowance Payments, for people who use their own vehicles or public transport for work. If your employer isn't giving you what the Yes! If you travel for work, you may be able to claim a tax refund on your expenses. HMRC has a system called Approved Mileage Allowance Payments, for people who use their own vehicles or public transport for work. If your employer isn't giving you what the AMAP says you're entitled to, you can claim mileage tax relief. Here are the basic AMAP amounts you need to know for filling out the calculator:


  • 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles.
  • 25p per mile after that.


  • 20p per mile.


  • 20p per mile.

Tax Refund Calculations

Does all my work travel count for my mileage claim calculation?

No. The travel has to be a necessary part of doing your job, and not just your daily commute to work. To qualify, you have to be travelling to a temporary workplace - meaning somewhere you work for under 24 months. There are some complicated ins and outs about what qualifies for a mileage tax refund. Always get in touch with RIFT to find out if you're entitled to cash back from the taxman.


Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HRMC.

Start My Claim


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?