Tax refunds & tax returns made easy

If you drive your own vehicle or get public transport to different locations for work, there’s a good chance that you could be due a HMRC tax refund for your travel. You can claim for the last 4 tax years and the average first-time UK tax refund is around £2,500.

Start My Claim Tax Calculator

Do you qualify for a tax refund?

£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

About RIFT Refunds

Tax refunds specialists

At RIFT Refunds we've claimed back over £153 million in tax refunds for over 55,000 people like you since 1999 and every single one is protected by our unique RIFT Guarantee so you'll never lose it again. We look after every claim on an individual basis so we can do what is best for your personal situation. There are no hidden costs and all aftercare is included. We're the only company in the tax refund business to have been awarded the ICS Service Mark for outstanding customer service. Find out how we can help you today.

Tax Returns

Tax returns and self assessment tax returns with RIFT

What is a tax return and how much tax do I owe? A common question and there are a few ways to work out how much tax you should be paying. If you're employed then tax will be taken from your salary by your employer using your tax code. If you have other sources of income, though, you may have calculations to make to work out your tax return. If you file self assessment tax returns then tax returns can be difficult to get right and dangerous to get wrong.

If you are now self-employed then you should get yourself registered as self-employed as soon as possible after you start trading. The deadline's the 5th of October in the year you started your self-employment. Miss that, and you're risking self assessment tax return penalties based on the potential lost tax. However, with RIFT on your side we can ensure that your tax returns are in safe hands.

Tax Return Quote Tax Calculator

Refer A Friend

Extra cash for you and your mates in the New Year

Help your mates get a tax refund to kick off the new year - and get an extra £50 in your own pocket! At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us.

We love it so much that we reward you for doing it! We'll give you £50 for everyone you recommend (T&Cs apply) who claims with us, but we'll give you a bonus of an extra £150 if 5 people do.

That's £400 in your pocket as well as the warm glow you get from helping out your mates. Help your workmates out now and you'll both get some extra cash for 2017.

Refer Your Friends Now

Refer a Friend

Get started

Simply enter your friend’s name and email address on our referral form, and we’ll send them a one off email to let them know you think RIFT tax refunds could help them.

  • If they get in touch and claim a refund, we’ll send you a £50 reward for your help.
  • And for every 5 you send that claim, you get an extra £150 bonus. 

Ask us any questions on Facebook, Livechat or call us on 01233 628648.

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny​

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Learn More

Customer Stories

"RIFT got me almost £4k back this year which really helped"

"I’m self–employed and have done my tax returns through RIFT for the past three years. I switched when my previous accountant messed up and I ended up owing HMRC money. Using RIFT couldn’t have been easier; they have done all the chasing for me and got me back almost £4K this year which has really helped! The money couldn’t come at a better time."

Ben Jukes, 30, Kent

See how much you could claim

UK Tax Refunds

Making UK tax refunds easy

As a specialist tax refund company, we know tax inside out. Our UK tax refund service is the simple way to get your money back from HMRC. Lots of people are due UK tax refunds from HMRC but it can be complicated to work out what you’re owed. Not with RIFT. We'll let you know exactly who can claim a UK tax rebate and we'll make the experience straightforward and pain free. You simply give us a few details and we do the rest. You can even get an estimate on how much of a tax rebate you could receive on our tax rebate calculator.

You can get your information to us either over the phone, using our online forms or by talking to our reps if you work in the construction industry.

Once we’ve got all the details we work out how much of a UK tax refund you’re due. Once you approve it, we submit your claim to HMRC and do all the chasing to make sure you get your money as quickly as possible.

Am I Due A Tax Refund?

Tax Rebates

How do tax rebates work?

A tax refund or tax rebate is a refund on taxes from HMRC when the tax liability is less than the taxes paid. By law, if you're travelling to temporary workplaces and paying to make your own way there, you could be owed a UK tax rebate. On average, a 4-year refund claimed through RIFT amounts to £2,500.

Since 1998, there’s been legislation in place that means anyone who travels to temporary workplaces while continuously employed is allowed to claim tax back on travel expenses. It makes no difference what your job is. If your employer doesn’t pay your travel expenses in full, you could be missing out on an HMRC tax refund. Whether you're driving or getting public transport, you've probably been shelling out more than you should.

We claim travel expenses under sections 336- 339 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 and follow the guidance set out in HMRC guide 490 - Employee Travel.

Am I Owed Cash Back?

Industry Sectors

RIFT tax rebates experts

When it comes to tax rebates, RIFT are the UK's top experts. Whatever the field you're in there's no reason to let the taxman take more that's due. Many of our tax rebate clients work in difficult and dangerous professions already. We make sure their refund claims are as stress-free and safe as possible. Every day we work with:

  • Armed Forces Personnel
  • Construction Industry workers (both PAYE and CIS)
  • Security professionals
  • Offshore workers

Types of tax rebate

Tax rebate law can be complicated and off-putting if you don't speak the taxman's language. If you want to cut the red tape, we can still help you claw back the money you're owed by HMRC. Talk to RIFT about claim Flat Rate expenses and leave the paperwork to us. We can help you claim no-fuss tax rebates for things like:

  • Cleaning and repair of specialist work clothing.
  • Fixing and replacing essential tools.
  • Subscriptions to professional organisations.

When you sign up as a RIFT client, you're joining a family. We're the only tax rebate company to earn the ServiceMark award from the Institute of Customer Service, who describes our work as 'World Class'. 90% of our clients go on to help friends, families and workmates get their own tax rebates by recommending us to them. What's more, our Rapid Refund option means you can now get your cash even faster. Choose thins option, and we'll get the money you're owed back in your pocket within 24 hours of submitting your claim!

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HRMC.

Start My Claim


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?

" "