Income Tax Rebates

The HMRC tax rebate rules aren't always easy to get your head around.  In fact, a lot of people pay too much year after year, simply because they don't know they're owed a tax rebate.  Do you travel for your job or have essential work costs from your own pocket?  If so, you may be due a tax rebate. 

To claim your tax rebate, you need to be able to prove that the taxman owed you money.  The best way to do this is to keep good records of everything you're spending to do your job.  If you're travelling, keep track of your mileage and any accommodation or food costs you're running up.

RIFT Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your tax rebate with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

RIFT Guarantee

HMRC Tax Rebate

Am I due a tax rebate?

A tax rebate or tax refund means that if you've paid too much tax to HMRC you are entitled to claim it back.

By law, if you're travelling to temporary workplaces and paying to make your own way there, you could be owed a tax rebate.  On average, a 4-year tax rebate claimed through RIFT amounts to £2,500.

Often, overpaid tax comes from things like not being reimbursed for the costs of travel or work-related expenses by your employer.  Without making a claim HMRC won't know to send it to you. It's a clunky system but we're here to help.

Even if you're getting reimbursed for some of them by your employer, you may still be tax back. The best thing to do is get in touch with RIFT. We're the experts in tax refunds and all our clients are protected by our unique RIFT Guarantee. This means that you'll always stay on the right side of HMRC, and your tax rebate is completely safe.

Our tax rebate calculator is the best way to find out how much you're owed.  It takes less than a minute to complete and gives you an instant estimate of how much your tax rebate could be worth.

Start for free

HMRC Income Tax Rebates

What is income tax?

Simply put, Income Tax is a bite that the government takes out of your pay. People employed on a Pay As You Earn (PAYE) basis have Income Tax taken out before they get their money. Others, such as the self-employed, pay their Income Tax directly by filing a Self Assessment tax return.

HMRC Income Tax Rebates

What's a personal allowance?

Your Personal Allowance is the amount of money you can make without paying any Income Tax on it. This tax-free allowance is determined by your tax code. For example, if you have the standard tax code of 1100L, you can earn £11,000 per year before you start to pay any tax.

Rate of income tax

What rate of income tax do I paye?

When you start to earn more than your tax-free Personal Allowance, you move into the basic rate tax band. Any money over your allowance is taxed at a rate of 20%. This basic tax rate comes out of all your income until you hit the threshold for the higher rate band. With each band, the rate of tax you're paying goes up.

There are a couple of important things to remember about tax rates and bands. Firstly, they tend to change every so often, when a new government budget is announced. Also, you only get taxed in each band for the money you're earning over its threshold.

For instance, if you're making £45,000 a year:

  • The first £11,000 you make is tax-free.
  • The next £32,000 is taxed at the basic rate.
  • The remaining £2,000 is taxed at the higher rate.

HMRC Income Rates

How do I pay income tax?

If your employer pays you through the PAYE system, your money is taxed automatically. You'll get a P60 form after the end of the tax year to show how much you paid. Your payslips should also show the tax taken from each payment.

If you're self-employed or have other sources of income, you'll have to register for Self Assessment tax returns. Every year, you'll fill in a form to tell HMRC how much you've earned so they can work out the tax you owe. You may also be able to claim tax relief on your business expenses to bring down your overall tax bill.

Income tax rebates

Have I paid too much income tax?

Whether you're employed PAYE or work for yourself, it's possible to pay too much Income Tax. For example, if you're paying for travel to temporary workplaces you may be owed a refund from HMRC.

There are actually a lot of work-related costs that you can claim tax back on, and a lot of people are missing out. The rules are tricky to get your head around, but RIFT can show you the ropes. To get you started, here’s our simple tax rebate calculator to work out how much you're owed.

Tax Calculator

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat