Tax Rebate Calculator - Claim your 2020 tax rebate

How would you use a tax rebate from HMRC? Would you pay down that nagging debt, take care of day-to-day expenses or splash out on something crazy for the family? With the RIFT tax rebate calculator, you can get a quick and easy estimate of the money you’ll get back from HMRC. It just takes a minute, and it costs nothing to find out what you’re owed. In April we claimed over £5 million pounds in tax rebates for our customers! 

Tax Calculator

Miles Travelled in Your Own Vehicle

* Please note this calculation is based on an estimate and using the information you provided. Contact us for an exact calculation of your HMRC tax refund.

Tax Rebate Calculator

How to use your tax rebate estimate

Once you’ve got a rough idea of what you’re going to get back, get in touch with us to start your RIFT tax refund claim.

First, we’ll get a few more details from you so we can make sure you’re getting everything back that you’re owed. Next, we’ll give you a Personal Tax Specialist who will build a really strong claim and make all the detailed calculations.

Once you’re happy with the amount, we’ll finalise your claim and chase HMRC for you until it’s paid.

You’ll be able to see your total claim amount and track its progress and payout date in the RIFT app.

You can use your MyRIFT account to update and view all the important details needed for your claim– including how you want to be paid. MyRIFT puts all the information you need right at your fingertips, instantly and anywhere. With MyRIFT, it’s never been simpler to get the very most out of your yearly tax refund.

RIFT Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

The RIFT Guarantee means you've got no worries about the taxman. As long as the information you've given us is correct, you're completely protected against HMRC inquiries about your tax rebate claim. If HMRC ever dug its heels in and demanded some of your refund payout back, we'd pay them ourselves at no cost to you! That's the magic of the RIFT Guarantee, protecting both you and your refund cash.

RIFT Guarantee

HMRC Timescales

How long until your HMRC tax rebate arrives?

RIFT has 7 specialist tax refund teams working to get back everything you’re owed. HMRC usually takes around 8-10 weeks to sort out a refund claim, so it’s best to get yours moving as soon as possible. The earlier you get your details to us, the quicker your tax rebate will arrive.

If you’ve missed out before on tax refund claims, it might not be too late. There’s a 4-year limit on getting back what HMRC owes you, and the tax year ticks over on the 6th of April. Once those 4 years are up, anything you’re still owed goes back in the taxman’s pocket forever.

Tax Refund Calculator

How the RIFT HMRC tax rebate calculator works

It only takes a few quick questions to get the refund calculator working. It doesn’t matter if you’re self-employed or you’re paid PAYE. Just tell us what you do for a living and how much mileage or public transport travel you’re doing for work. That’s basically everything the calculator needs to give you an estimate of your tax refund amount.

You might need to file a Self Assessment tax return to get your refund. If you do, the calculator will let you know, and RIFT can sort it out for you as part of your tax refund service. In the rare instance that you actually owe tax to HMRC, the calculator will even give you a heads-up about that, too.

Keep in mind that tax refunds aren’t a prize you can win. This is your money and it belongs on your pocket. Don’t be sad if the calculator says you’re not owed anything. That just means you haven’t overpaid – which is actually the best news you could hope for!

On average, a tax refund with RIFT comes to £1,481 per year – and you can claim for up to 4 years! Because things like your tax-free Personal Allowance change over time, the refund calculator handles each year separately to keep everything clear and give you the most accurate estimate possible.

Tax Rebate Calculator

What's my PAYE take-home pay?

The Pay As You Earn system takes cash out of your earnings before you get them. That cash covers Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions, along with things like pension contributions and Student Loan repayments. How much you actually get to take home depends on those amounts and the Personal Allowance you qualify for.

Almost everyone in the UK gets a Personal Allowance automatically. This is the amount of money you can earn before the taxman can touch it. The Personal Allowance for the 2020/21 tax year, for example, is £12,500. Anything you earn below that is tax-free.

Once you’ve burned through your Personal Allowance, you move into the basic rate band for Income Tax. If you earn enough in a year, you might see some of your income being taxed at the higher rate. Here’s how those bands look in 2020/21

  • Up to £12,500: 0%
  • £12,501 to £50,000: 20% (basic rate)
  • £50,001 to £150,000: 40% (higher rate)
  • £150,001 or more: 45%

On top of that, you’ve got National Insurance to pay. This money’s used for things like keeping your State Pension eligibility. For most people in the UK, the 2020/21 National Insurance they’re paying looks like this:

  • Earnings under £9,500 a year: 0%
  • Earnings between £9,500 and £50,000 a year: 12%
  • Anything over £50,000 a year: 2%

Tax Refund Calculations

Is my tax calculation just based on the money I earn?

There are lots of things that can factor into the amount of tax you pay. Examples include:

  • Married Couples Allowance, for married couples where one spouse was born before the 6th of April 1935. Couples born after would use Marriage Allowance instead, where one spouse transfers part of their Personal Allowance to the other. This can be useful if either of you isn’t getting the full benefit of your Personal Allowance.
  • Registered blind people can get a boost to the tax-free portion of their income, on top of their normal Personal Allowance.

The tax you owe can also be affected by the rate of NICs you’re paying, any Student Loan repayments you’re making and whether you’re doing any work overseas. Working for a non-UK employer abroad, for instance, can mean your tax is different from someone who works full-time in the UK.

Two other big factors affecting your tax are your tax code and your Personal Allowance. HMRC uses your tax code to work out your entire tax calculation, and to take any special circumstances affecting you into account. That includes the Personal Allowance you qualify for, so it’s really important to make sure your tax code’s correct. Don’t worry, though; RIFT will always take special care with your tax code.

Another thing that can affect your tax calculation is any “salary sacrifices” you’re making in exchange for benefits from your employer. You also need to keep an eye on any pension plan contributions you’ve made. Both of these can change the amount of tax you owe.

The big thing that the taxman can’t always consider is any tax allowances or deductions you’re eligible for. Basically, HMRC won’t automatically have all the information it needs to get your tax calculations right. When you’re reaching into your own pocket for certain types of essential work travel, for instance, the cash you’re spending can qualify you for tax relief. This is exactly the kind of thing that RIFT’s tax rebate calculator is here to help with.

If you’re self-employed and working under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), there are some extra rules about the tax you pay. The main thing to understand is that you’re losing 20% of your pay directly to the taxman before you even get it. This can be a real problem sometimes, because it could mean you end up not getting the benefit of your Personal Allowance. Since you’re self-employed, you’re also paying different kinds of National Insurance. Again, though, this is exactly the kind of thing that RIFT was set up to help with. We’re the UK’s leading CIS tax refund specialists, so get in touch to be sure you’re not missing out.

Claiming tax back

How to claim a tax rebate?

The perfect way to kick off your tax refund claim is by using the RIFT tax rebate calculator. Whatever kind of work you do, from PAYE to self-employment and CIS, you’ll get a quick, reliable estimate of what HMRC owes you. With that calculation as a launch pad, RIFT can take care of the whole process for you, keeping everything smooth and hassle-free.

There really is no good reason to leave your cash in HMRC’s hands. Try out our refund calculator and let’s get back what’s yours!

Tax Refund Calculations

Can I claim for work mileage on top of a tax rebate?

When it comes to claiming tax rebates, one of the biggest reasons people overpay is their work travel. That’s why the RIFT tax calculator is such a great tool for getting back what you’re owed.

HMRC has set out some Approved Mileage Allowance Payments (AMAP) for when you use public transport or your own vehicle to travel to temporary workplaces and back. Unless you‘re getting reimbursed at least as much as the AMAP rates, you’re still owed money. Right now, those rates are set at:

Cars and vans:

  • 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles.
  • 25p per mile after that.


  • 24p per mile.


  • 20p per mile.

Tax Refund Calculations

Does all my work travel count for a mileage claim calculation?

You’ve got to be careful when you’re claiming tax back for your work travel, which is where RIFT’s expertise really comes in. Only essential travel to and from temporary workplaces counts toward your refund claim. Everyday commutes to a permanent office, for example, won’t earn you any refund cash. However, if travel is an essential part of your job, you could have a claim.

When the taxman talks about temporary workplaces, he essentially means places you work for under 24 months on the trot. That said, there are some odd little wrinkles in HMRC’s rules, which is why it really pays to make your claim with RIFT.

As the UK’s top tax refund experts, we’ve got the expertise and specialist knowledge to make sure you get the very most from your refund claim.

Start for Free

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat