Tax refunds for healthcare workers

If you are a healthcare worker for the NHS or a private healthcare company, you can claim a tax refund for certain travel costs from the taxman. The average 4 year healthcare worker tax refund claim is worth around £2,500. You could even claim a uniform tax rebate too.

Start for free > Tax Calculator

Do you qualify for a tax refund from HMRC?

£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

Why use RIFT Refunds?

You will benefit from

RIFT Guarantee

If HMRC wants your refund back, we cover it. 

No hidden costs

It costs nothing to find out if you have a claim.

Peace of mind

Our expert team have reclaimed £225 million.

We do the hard work

94% want to claim again with RIFT.

RIFT Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your NHS tax rebate with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

RIFT Guarantee

Healthcare tax refunds

Information you need for a healthcare tax rebate

We need the following information to assess your healthcare worker tax rebate and process your claim:

  • A list of the all places you've travelled to work - This is the most important thing. We'll also need to know how long you worked at each one. We don't need the exact dates and locations but try to give as much detail as you can.
  • Receipts for expenses (if you have them) - This can include laundry costs for your uniform, any meals or professional body subscriptions if you pay for these at your own expense.
  • Contract of employment - However many you have had during the period you are claiming for.
  • Copy of your photo ID - Driving licence or passport.
  • Proof of address - Utility bills or bank statements.
  • Wage slips - From April 2015 onwards.
  • Other supporting documents - MOT certificate for your vehicle, P60 end of year certificates from 2015 onwards or P45s from 2015 (if you have any).

You will also be required to set up a Personal Tax Account.  It's free and lets you keep tabs on all your tax details.  That includes all information from employers, banks and building societies and other government departments all in one place.  

Start for free > Tax Calculator

Healthcare Tax Refunds

Healthcare tax refunds explained

Healthcare tax rebates are often misunderstood, meaning a lot of people miss out.  Whether you're a nurse, midwife, physiotherapist or healthcare assistant, claims for tax relief are your legal right.  In some cases your employer might already cover some of your travel expenses. Don't worry: we're experts in this area.  We work unfailingly within the HMRC rules to make sure we claim tax back on exactly what you’re entitled to. Our free tax refund calculator can also help you.

We helped Caroline, an occupational therapist, to claim back the healthcare worker tax rebate she deserved. Caroline works for the NHS. She runs two weekly clinics in her local hospital and also visits clients at home. Every day, her mileage ranges from 10 to 50 miles. Caroline gets 15p per mile for her travel, which she claims back by filling in mileage sheets.

At the end of each tax year, Caroline sends copies of her mileage sheets to us at RIFT. We deduct the travel expenses she’s already received to work out how much extra she can claim. Caroline’s NHS tax rebate is usually about £350 for the year. For a four-year claim, that adds up to a very healthy £1,400.

Healthcare Tax Refunds

Can healthcare staff get tax refunds?

Far too few people in the industry know about healthcare worker tax rebates.  Spending your life looking after other people shouldn't mean losing money that's rightly yours. Whether you’re a community midwife, in private healthcare, health visitor or locum consultant, you might be overpaying your tax and due a tax refund.

A healthcare worker tax refund is for anyone who’s:

  • Employed PAYE.
  • Travelling to different places for work.
  • Paying some or all of their travel costs themselves.
Start for free >

Tax refunds for nurses

I work as a nurse. What kind of tax relief can I claim?

Nurses, like other healthcare workers, are entitled to make tax refund claims. Whether you're a district, neonatal or prison nurse, there's no reason to miss out on the tax relief your hard work earns you. If your nursing job requires you to travel to patients' homes, for instance, then those homes could count as ''temporary workplaces''. As a result, you'll qualify for a tax refund on your travel costs.

In addition to travel, nurses can also claim for the repair, replacement and cleaning of their uniforms. Any initial purchases costs won't count, but if you're paying for laundry or repairs to your work clothes, you could be owed money.

Another easily missed rule is the tax relief nurses are entitled to on subscriptions to professional bodies. Payments to organisations like The Royal College of Nursing or The Nursing and Midwifery Council are good examples of this. To qualify you for a refund, membership either has to be essential to get your job or helpful in performing it.

Start for free > Tax Calculator

Healthcare Tax Refunds

NHS Tax Relief

If you're working for the NHS, tax relief might not seem like something you could benefit from. However, you could easily be owed an NHS tax rebate for your travel costs, or for extra expenses like laundry bills for your work clothes. Even if you're getting some of your expenses paid back by the NHS, you could still claim tax back. Whatever your situation, we'll quickly be able to tell you if you're owed money.

Example: Jody is a nurse working through an agency. She typically has several different jobs to do each day, and uses her own car to travel between them. Her travels from home to the first job of the day and her journey home aren’t covered. All her trips between jobs during the day qualify, though.

There are many more examples of legitimate work expenses. If you're paying for subscriptions to professional bodies like the Royal College of Nursing, you might qualify for an NHS tax refund on them. Whatever you're shelling out for, it needn't be complicated to claim. In fact, many of your out-of-pocket costs can be claimed as Flat Rate Expenses. These are simplified claims that estimate what your typical costs might be.

Start for free > Tax Calculator

Healthcare worker expenses

Travel Costs

Travel costs are usually the largest part of a tax refund claim. However, not all travel earns you money back from HMRC. To be “tax deductible”, your travel has to be to and from a temporary workplace. In general, a workplace is considered temporary if you're there for under 24 months. A regular commute to a steady workplace won't count, for example. The travel also needs to be completely necessary to do your job. That sounds obvious, but it does trip a lot of people up when they're making complicated journeys that include some elements of personal travel.

There are also a few tricky points to consider. If you're travelling to a variety of hospitals or clinics within the same area, HMRC might consider the entire region your “permanent workplace”. It's always best to get professional advice in situations like these. On the other hand, travel expenses can also include some subsistence costs while you're on the move. Things like accommodation and food can all contribute toward your claim.

If you're already getting some of your costs reimbursed by your employer, you may still be owed tax back. HMRC has set rates for Approved Mileage Allowance Payments, and if you're not getting the full amount you can claim back the difference. The NHS has its own rates as well, if you're employed by them. Again, talk to RIFT to find out exactly where you stand.

Healthcare worker Expenses

Training costs

Training and education expenses can be a tricky area to deal with when you're making a healthcare tax refund claim. As always, the basic rule of thumb is that courses need to be essential for your work to qualify for tax relief. Remember that we're talking about more than just the fees involved, of course. The money you spend travelling to a qualifying course or training session can also count toward your claim. This is one area where it's always worth talking to a professional. The training simply being compulsory isn't always enough to qualify its costs for tax relief. For instance, you might need to have completed certain courses in preparation for taking up a particular position. However, HMRC doesn't consider the cost of preparing for a role the same way as the cost of actually performing its duties.

Healthcare expenses

Professional Subscriptions

Depending on the kind of healthcare work you do, you may be owed tax back on the costs of some professional subscriptions.  Fees for the BMA, GMC and MDO can all count for, for example.  There are some qualifying criteria for a free to be eligible, so make sure you get a statement to prove what you've spent. 

Healthcare expenses

Other costs

There's a whole range of other necessary costs that can contribute to healthcare worker tax rebate.  Generally, you can claim for the expenses of cleaning, repairing or replacing any specialized clothing, instruments or equipment, if you're paying it yourself.  Again, these costs have to be essential and exclusively for your work. 

Tax returns

Self assessment tax returns with RIFT

What is a tax return and how much tax do I owe? A common question and there are a few ways to work out how much tax you should be paying. If you're employed then tax will be taken from your salary by your employer using your tax code. If you have other sources of income, though, you may have calculations to make to work out your tax return. If you file self assessment tax returns then tax returns can be difficult to get right and dangerous to get wrong.

If you are now self-employed then you should get yourself registered as self-employed as soon as possible after you start trading. The deadline's the 5th of October in the year you started your self-employment. Miss that, and you're risking self assessment tax return penalties based on the potential lost tax. However, with RIFT on your side we can ensure that your tax returns are in safe hands.

Tax return quote

Healthcare Tax Refunds

Does it matter if I'm self-employed?

If you're self-employed in the healthcare sector you may still be owed money. We can get back all the expenses you're entitled to in your healthcare tax return. You can find everything you need to know on our self assessment tax return pages including important tax return deadlines and common tax return mistakes.

Healthcare Tax Refunds

What if my employer contributes to expenses?

Your employer might already cover some of your travel expenses. Don't worry, we're experts and we know HMRC's rules inside and out. We'll get back tax you're owed and never claim anything you're not entitled to. That way, you get the most out of your healthcare worker tax refund and still stay in the taxman's good books!

Ex-Military Offshore Healthcare

Former Armed Forces personnel in offshore healthcare

Finding your place back in civilian life can be a challenge after a career in the Armed Forces. Attitudes are gradually changing, but employers are still too often wary of taking on people with military backgrounds. What many are starting to realise, though, is that so much of what you bring home from Armed Forces life is incredibly valuable. You've worked hard building your skills and testing your character, and there are sectors crying out to put both to use.

If you work in offshore healthcare, you already know it's not for the faint of heart of weak of body. These are hard jobs in tough conditions, and not everyone is cut out for them. Military experience proves you're up to the challenge, but it also shows you understand the value of teamwork. RIFT works with service leavers every day, helping them move into civilian life. Often, they don't even realise they can continue getting tax refunds after leaving the military. We help them make the most of their new careers, and reclaim what they're still owed from their Armed Forces days. Tax refunds can be claimed for up to 4 years, so even if you've already left it may not be too late. Whatever you decide to do with your civilian life, talk to RIFT about getting back the tax you're owed.

Refer a friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get their tax refund and get extra cash in your own pocket! 

At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us. We love it so much that we’re rewarding you for doing it!

We'll give you £50 for every friend you refer (T&Cs apply) that claims with us, plus we'll give you a £150 bonus when 5 people claim with us.

Simply tell us about your friend using our Refer a Friend form and we’ll get in touch to let them know you think they might have a claim.

Refer Your Friends

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat