Travel and Mileage Tax Refunds with RIFT

Claiming tax refunds for travel can be complicated, from mileage allowances to DVLA tax refunds. Work travel expenses are a big part of most tax rebate claims, so it’s worth knowing the terrain before you set yours rolling. Here’s a quick RIFT Roadmap for vehicle tax and mileage allowance relief claims.

Start For Free > Tax Calculator

Mileage tax relief

What is mileage tax relief?

When you’re travelling for work, the UK tax laws mean you’re entitled to some tax back for your mileage. As long as your work travel’s essential to your job, and it’s to a temporary workplace, you could be owed some mileage tax relief each year. “Temporary” here just generally means you’re working there for under 24 months on the trot. A daily commute to a permanent workplace won’t earn you a work mileage tax rebate, for example.

Mileage tax refunds

How much are mileage tax refunds worth?

HMRC has set out some Approved Mileage Allowance Payment (AMAP) rates to help cover the travel and running costs of your vehicle. Right now, those rates are:

  • 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles by car/van, 25p per mile after that.
  • 24p per mile by motorcycle.
  • 20p per mile by bicycle.

You might already be getting something from your employer toward your work travel. Even so, if you’re not getting at least the full amount of mileage tax relief the AMAP rates allow, you can claim back the difference as a work mileage tax rebate from HMRC.

AMAP Rates

Claiming mileage

Claiming mileage tax refunds

When you’re claiming tax relief on business mileage and other travel expenses, you can either go it alone or get professional help. If you go the “DIY” route, you’ll need a P87 form from the HMRC website. You’ll also need to keep accurate and up-to-date records of all the mileage and other work expenses you’re claiming for. Claiming mileage tax refunds doesn’t need to be a huge hassle with the right help. Getting the most out of your travel expenses claim really does take an expert, though. On top of your mileage allowance relief, there are many other work expenses you can claim tax relief for. Here at RIFT we can look after this for you.

Tax Refunds

Travel and mileage tax refunds made easy

Since 1999 we've been in the business of claiming back overpaid tax for people like you. We know the taxman's rules inside out and work closely with HMRC to make sure you get back what you're owed.

If you think you might be owed mileage relief then check today. It's free to find out with RIFT if you have a claim.

Start for free >

Mileage and Self-Assessment

How to claim mileage allowance relief on Self-Assessment

When you’re self-employed, you don’t pay your tax through the PAYE system. Instead, you report your earnings and expenses in your Self-Assessment tax returns. To claim tax relief on your mileage through Self Assessment, you need to keep records of all the essential work travel expenses you’re claiming for. They’ll count against the profits you’re being taxed on, bringing your final tax bill down. Talk to us for expert help on claiming mileage allowance in your next tax return.

Mileage allowance

Is mileage allowance relief the same as a car tax refund?

Generally, when we talk about vehicle tax refunds (sometimes called road tax refunds or DVLA tax refunds), we’re not talking about claiming tax relief on mileage. Mileage tax refunds are about the work travel you’re doing. Vehicle tax refunds, on the other hand, are about reclaiming unused road tax (Vehicle Excise Duty) when you’re not using your vehicle. For instance, you can claim a DVLA tax refund if you’re scrapping or selling your car while there’s still some tax left on it. The same thing goes if you declare your vehicle as off the road with a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). Road tax refund claims like this can be made at the DVLA, either online or via post or even phone.

RIFT Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

RIFT Guarantee

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat