Help & Advice - RIFT Tax Refunds

If you’ve got a question about your tax return or tax refund, you’ll find the answer here. Whether you want to look at our FAQs or want essential HMRC forms, we've got everything covered. Use the quick links to find what you're looking for.


Glossary of terms

HMRC speak their own language. When reading through any tax forms or paperwork you receive from them, there’s a lot of jargon to wade through. In case you do need to check anything, here's a quick translation tool.


Financial Dates

Financial deadlines

Our handy calendars will make sure you never miss an important deadline. Knowing what you need to do means you'll never have the stress of running round at the last minute to get things ready for HMRC and risking forgetting something.

Dates & deadlines

What would you like to know?

What can we help you with?

Practical Help

Tools & Calculators

Whether you're looking to save more money, manage your income better or get a tax refund estimate, we have the right tool for you. 


Claiming with RIFT

The RIFT Refunds claim process

Claiming tax back from HMRC can get tricky, especially if you've got multiple expenses to claim for. If going it alone you're responsible for doing the paperwork, calculations and dealing with HMRC directly. If using the RIFT Refunds service we do all of that for you, with a team of 7 different specialists working on your claim. Some of these will be ATT (Association of Tax Technicians), AAT (Associations of Accounting Technicians), and ACCA (The Association of Chartered Accountants) qualified. Click the link below to know more about the claims process.

RIFT Refunds Claim Process

Common FAQs

Here our top FAQs

It takes a few weeks to put together a really comprehensive tax refund claim.  As soon as you're happy to go forward, we'll send your claim to HMRC for approval.  It can take 8-10 weeks for the taxman to check your details and confirm your refund total, so the sooner you get us the information we need the sooner you'll have your money.

The best way to speed up your RIFT Tax Refund is to get your Authorising your agent (64-8) form back to us fast.  This is the form that lets us tackle the taxman on your behalf.  Without 2 physical copies of your 64-8 document, HMRC won't even speak to us about your claim.  It's annoying, but it's all about protecting you.

As soon as your refund's paid out, we'll either send you a cheque or pay it into your bank account if you prefer.  The choice is yours.

Have a look at our 'How Long Does A Tax Refund Take' page for more information about how long it takes to get your tax refund done and some pointers for how to make things happen as fast as possible.

Remember that you can claim for the last 4 tax years and you can make your claim at any time.

In HMRC's language, a tax rebate is "a refund on taxes when the tax liability is less than the taxes paid".  What it's definitely not is a prize or a dodgy way of ''cheating the system''.  When you're owed a HMRC tax refund, it's because you've already paid too much tax.

When you're paying your own way to temporary workplaces, the odds are good that you're owed some tax back for your expenses.  ''Temporary'' here just means it's somewhere you're working for less than 24 months on the trot.  It's worth making sure you get back what you're owed, too.  You can claim a tax rebate for up to 4 years, with an average 4-year rebate with RIFT coming to £3,023.

A lot of the time, people don't even realise how many of their day-to-day expenses qualify for tax relief.  Unless you prove to HMRC what you're owed, though, the taxman won't have the information he needs to settle up.  The tax rebate system's a little clunky in places, but RIFT's on-demand, 1-on-1 service means you'll never get lost or lose out. 

Just answer a few simple questions and we can tell you whether the expenses you've had to pay out in the course of your work meant that you may have paid more tax than you should.

You can also use our tax refund calculator to see how much you are due if you do make a claim.


Our standard charges are:

  • Tax refund if you're employed under PAYE: 28% of refund claimed + VAT (minimum fee £45+VAT)
  • CIS Tax Refund including tax return £245+VAT
  • Self assessment from £95 + VAT (call us on 01233 628648 for a quote)

Don't worry if you had a mixture of self-employed and PAYE (employed by a company) work during the period you want to claim for. We can work out if you would be due a refund and let you know what the fee would be.

See our full list of services with prices and options.

When we receive your refund from HMRC we take out our fee and then pay it the refund to you. There are no up front charges to pay for anything. If you are not due a refund then there is no charge.

Before we send your claim to HMRC we sent a copy to you with a full breakdown of all the fees so you can clearly see:

    The total refund
    The cost of our service
    The VAT due (VAT goes to the government, it's charged on almost all goods and services)
    The amount you will receive

You will need to sign and send this back to us to say you have read, understood and agreed with it, along with a declaration that all the information you have provided about your claim is true. This means you will never be charged any fees you have not agreed to.

There are no further fees to pay, and no hidden charges.

All aftercare is included (if you need us to call HMRC on your behalf, if you have a problem you would like us to resolve with them, if your tax code needs correcting etc).

Your refund is covered by the unique RIFT Guarantee which means that whatever happens, your refund stays in your own pocket and will never go back to HMRC. If we fight any HMRC enquiries for you (which is included free of charge) and if they did demand any money back, we would pay back the refund to HMRC ourselves.

We will also send you a reminder when it's time to see if you have a claim next year.

You can reach us on the phone or Livechat   

  • Mon-Thurs: 8:30am – 8:30pm
  • Fri: 8.30am – 6:00pm
  • Sat: 9:00 – 1:00pm

You can email us or send us a question or feedback through our contact page at any time and you can leave us a private message through our Facebook page.

A tax return is a form you use to tell HMRC about your earnings and expenses. It's a complete overview of the taxable income you've made and the costs of doing business you've faced.

A tax refund is money HMRC gives back when you've paid too much tax. There are several reasons why you might overpay, and you often have to file a claim and prove you did.

There’s basically no acceptable excuse for missing self assessment tax return deadlines, even if you don't owe HMRC anything. If you miss the deadline there are a number of self assessment tax return penalties that you could be hit with:

  • £100 automatic fine for filing even a single day late,
  • £900 in penalties can stack up over the next three months
  • £3,000 for each year you can’t provide the necessary records

We’re here to take care of everything - from completing your tax return, through calculating any refunds due, to speaking to HMRC on your behalf. You can also get more self assessment tax return tips and advice here with some clear "dos" and "don'ts".

Find out more about self assessment deadlines and penalties.

Learn more

What you like to know more about?

Click on the arrows on the righthand side to browse our collection of guides

Subscribe to the RIFT Newsletter

Join our mailing list

Sign up to receive email updates so you never miss out on our latest money saving tips, competitions and more.

Email Signup

Submit your email address

Let's be friends

Connect with us on social

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat