Tax refunds for PAYE construction workers

Construction workers and other site workers like builders, joiners and groundworkers paying to get to temporary worksites (of under 24 months) can claim travel tax refunds and expenses. The average 4-year construction claims tax rebate is £2,500. Check our free tax refund calculator to see what you're owed, or answer our 4 quick questions to get the ball rolling.

Start for free > Tax Calculator

Why use RIFT Refunds

You will benefit from

RIFT guarantee

If HMRC wants your refund back, we cover it.

No hidden costs

It costs nothing to find out if you have a claim.

Outstanding service

Rated by Institute of Customer Service.

All aftercare included

Free tax advice throughout the year.

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your construction tax rebate with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

RIFT Guarantee

PAYE Tax Rebates

Information you need for a PAYE tax rebate

We need the following basic information to look at claiming your PAYE tax rebate:

  • A list of the sites you've worked on - along with the dates you were there. This can cover the 4 years. Don't worry too much if you can't remember every detail - many of our clients work on the same sites to you, so we may have that information handy.
  • Monthly payslips - Your monthly wage slips from 2015 onwards.
  • Other supporting documents - Providing a copy of your photo ID (driving licence or passport), proof of address, MOT certificates and receipts of any other expenses which will help to maximise your PAYE tax rebate.

It's a good idea to set up a Personal Tax Account. It's free and lets you keep tabs on all your tax details. That includes all information from employers, banks and building societies and other government departments all in one place. Give RIFT a shout and we can talk you through it.

Start for free >

Construction PAYE

Can PAYE construction workers claim?

As a UK employee, you've probably paid tax through PAYE (Pay As You Earn). 1 in 3 people in the UK has overpaid in tax so there's a good chance you're owed a UK construction tax rebate. If you're paying for things like meals, lodgings and protective clothing, you might be owed money for those too.  Using your MyRIFT account you’ll be able to keep a track of what you spend throughout the year so you don’t miss out on your PAYE tax refund. 

We can also help you if you’re self-employed. Our friendly, expert teams specialise in construction claims, and will quickly tell you if you’re due a construction worker tax rebate.

You can find out how much your PAYE tax refund will be using our tax refund calculator. It takes less than a minute to complete and gives you an instant estimate of what you're owed.  With an average 4-year PAYE construction claim refund of £2,500 that could be the wisest minute you've spent all week!

If you're due a refund, we'll chase the taxman for you until it's paid. We'll keep you posted every step of the way. All you need to do is work out how you'll spend the money.


Switching from PAYE to CIS

HMRC is cracking down on tax evasion and ''cash-in-hand'' arrangements through the Construction Industry Scheme.

If you're thinking of becoming self-employed we can help you get switch from PAYE and get registered for CIS.  There's a lot to think about when you first decide to start working for yourself, so let us help you.

Switch from PAYE to CIS

Specialist Team

RIFT's Construction Team

RIFT was originally built to help construction workers tackle the taxman. Our specialists have expert-level industry knowledge, and know exactly what it takes to get the most from a construction refund claim. We've even got a specialist route calculation system to work out your mileage.

Keeping track of your spending for a claim of up to 4 years can be a challenge. We can chase up all this essential information and paperwork, including contacting former employers. We've got great relationships and partnerships with industry bodies and unions. This means we have all the tools to handle HMRC for you and get your PAYE tax refund paid.

We keep things really simple for you with your free MyRIFT account. MyRIFT lets you track and update all the essential information for your claim at all times, from anywhere. Scrap the paperwork and bin the bookkeeping with MyRIFT!

Specialist Team

Meet our Construction Reps

Our Reps cover over 3,000 miles a month travelling all over England, Scotland and Wales to help construction workers like you claim back their overpaid tax.  They can meet you whenever and wherever suits - at home, at work or even in the pub! 

Meet your local Rep

Construction Tax Refunds

Who can get a construction tax rebate?

All construction workers can apply to claim tax back. We can also help you if you’re self-employed and need to fill out a self assessment tax return. There's nothing to lose by checking if you qualify for a PAYE tax rebate. We don't even charge a penny until your money's back where it belongs. You can find out what information you need for your PAYE tax refund claim here or give us a call.

There are three simple ways to get your PAYE tax rebate claim off to a flying start:

  • Answer 4 simple questions and give us your information online using MyRIFT.
  • Use our free Forms By Phone Service and we'll sort out the details for you there and then.
  • Take advantage of our Forms On-site service. One of our construction refund experts will meet you on-site to handle the paperwork when it works best for you.
Start for free

HMRC Processing Time

How long will my tax refund take?

A typical PAYE tax refund claim can take about 8-10 weeks for HMRC to process. Our dedicated construction specialist team works hard to maximise your refund and get it to you fast. The sooner you start your claim and provide the information we need, the soon you get your cash back.

Remember that you can claim tax back for the last 4 years, so it may not be too late to get your unclaimed refunds.


Customer stories

I got over £6,000 back and treated the kids​

"I saw the RIFT advert in the Sun and though it was worth a shot to see if I was owed any money. I’ve been with Galamast for 8 years now, use my own car to get around and am always travelling long distances to different sites. I was chuffed when RIFT phoned and told me I got over £6,000 back – it was the easiest money I’ve got back in my life! I’ll definitely be in touch with them again this year to see if I can get any more. I’ve treated the kids to a few nice days out since I got the money so they’re happy too!”

Adrian Chinnock, 57, Somerset

Start for free >

Construction Tax Refunds

Applying For A Tax Rebate

When you apply for a tax rebate, you're telling HMRC that you've given them too much of your own money. They won't just hand it over, though. They'll expect you to prove they owe you, so you'll need to show them some paperwork. Applying for a tax refund can be complicated. Most people don't know how or when to apply, or even that they're allowed to.

There are deadlines for when to apply for your tax rebate, and rules about what you can claim for. RIFT Refunds will explain it all, and show you how to get back the money you're owed.

Construction Tax Rebates

I don't have all my PAYE paperwork. Can I claim a tax rebate?

In order to claim a PAYE tax refund, HMRC's going to need to see some proof of what you've earned and spent. Usually, this will include things like your P45s, wage slips and MOT certificates. Don't stress out too much if you can't lay your hands on some of them. There's a good chance we can sort out your claim without absolutely everything. Find out more about what information you need here, or give RIFT a call.

Once you become a RIFT customer you’ll be able to use MyRIFT to track all your expenses and upload your documents throughout the year so you don’t forget anything. This means your refund will probably be even bigger the second time around.

Construction Tax Rebates

I've got another job or source of income. Does this mean I can't claim a PAYE tax rebate?

Not necessarily. Having a second job can still make a big difference to your tax, though. You'll probably end up with two separate tax codes, only one of which will have a tax-free Personal Allowance attached to it. Things can get complicated when you've got more than one job, so talk to RIFT to make sure you're on track.

Construction Tax Rebates

I get some benefits in kind. Does that affect my PAYE tax refund?

If you're getting any benefits outside of your basic salary, then they're probably taxable. We're talking about things like company cars, medical insurance or free loans. All these things will count toward the amount of tax you owe. Not every perk of your job may count for tax, though, so always talk to RIFT if you're not sure. Your employer's contributions to your pension, for example, are tax-free. So are things like free or subsidised canteen meals.

Construction Tax Rebates

I didn't work for part of the tax year. Am I owed a PAYE tax refund?

If you weren't earning for part of the year, then you may well be owed some PAYE tax back. How much you can claim depends on your circumstances. For instance, if you were unemployed and claiming JSA for part of the year, then your benefits are still taxable. This will bring down the size of refund you can claim back, but it's still worth doing it if you've overpaid.  Answer our 4 quick questions to give you an idea on what you're owed. It takes less than a minute to complete and just 4 questions will put you on the road to getting your construction claims tax refund.

Tax Advice

HMRC sent me a p800 tax calculation. What does this mean?

When you get a P800 from the taxman, it means he thinks you've paid the wrong amount of tax. It's not necessarily bad news. In fact, if HMRC thinks they've overcharged you, they may just refund you without any hassle. Of course, if they think you haven't paid enough, they'll find a way of clawing it back. Generally, they'll adjust your PAYE tax code to take the money you owe automatically.

If you don't understand why you've got a P800 tax calculation, you should definitely get some good, professional advice. Phone or email RIFT and we'll find out what's happened. If it turns out to be the taxman's error, we'll set it straight for you.

Uniform tax refunds

I wear a uniform or specific work clothing for my construction job. Can I claim a PAYE tax refund?

When you have to wear work-specific clothing to do your job, there are certain expenses you can claim tax relief on. What you can claim for depends on the work you do and your personal circumstances.

If you're employed in construction and taxed via PAYE, you can claim refunds based on the money you spend on:

  • Cleaning, repairing or replacing your work clothes.
  • Cleaning, repairing or replacing any safety gear you have to use.

Keep in mind that the clothing and safety gear only counts if it's needed specifically and exclusively for your work. Repairing a high-visibility jacket with a company logo on it would generally get you an expenses claim. Cleaning the everyday jeans you wore to the site that day wouldn't. The other thing to remember is that you can't claim for the initial cost of buying the clothes or gear. Only keeping them clean and in good working order or replacing them counts toward your refund.

If you're self-employed, things are different. Any essential costs you're shelling out specifically for your business can count toward your allowable expenses. That includes the initial costs of those purchases, along with any cleaning, repairs or replacements required.

Whether you're self-employed or working PAYE, you have a couple of options for claiming uniform expenses. Employed people can use a "flat rate deduction" to claim a set amount instead of keeping track of their spending. The self-employed can use the "simplified expenses" system, using HMRC's pre-set figures. If you choose a fixed rate method, your paperwork is simpler. However, you might not get as much tax relief as you could by keeping receipts. Get in touch with RIFT if you're not sure which system would be better for you.

Start for free > Tax Calculator

Refer a Friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get their tax refund and get extra cash in your own pocket! 

At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us. We love it so much that we’re rewarding you for doing it!

We'll give you £50 for every friend you refer (T&Cs apply) that claims with us, plus we'll give you a £150 bonus when 5 people claim with us.

Simply tell us about your friend using our Refer a Friend form and we’ll get in touch to let them know you think they might have a claim.

Refer Your Friends

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat