Tax returns - File your HMRC Tax Return

A tax return is an online or paper form you use to report any taxable income you've earned throughout the tax year and to claim any tax allowances or tax rebates. HMRC then use this to calculate how much tax you owe. RIFT can take this stress away, handling all the paperwork and deadlines so you don't have to.

Tax Return Quote


£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

Tax Returns

What is a tax return?

A tax return is an online or paper form you use to tell HMRC:

HMRC will then use this to calculate how much you owe.  If you're self-employed, a self-assessment tax return is the main way to sort out your allowances.

There are a lot of things you seriously need to know about tax returns so it’s definitely worth looking at all the information we have here to help you. In fact, every year, lack of interest in tax gets a lot of self assessment taxpayers in scalding hot water with HMRC.

Tax returns aren't just for the self-employed.  There are lots of reasons you might need to file one each year. You might have additional sources of income outside of your main job, or be the director of a company.

Take a look at our rundown and make sure you don’t fall into any common tax return mistakes. Also, if you're moving to the UK to work and need to pay UK tax you can find out more with us. If you think you could be due a tax refund, our simple tax refund calculator will tell you what you need to know. 

Tax Return Quote

Tax Returns

When should I do my tax return?

Technically, you can do it any time after the end of the tax year, as long as it's filed by the 31st of January the following year. That said, it's always better to get it done sooner. For one thing, you'll know earlier how much you owe. That means you have time to plan or save up for making the payment. But also, as the numbers below show, there is quite a crush around tax return deadline time!

  • A record 85.5% of tax returns were sent online last year. The real crushes came on the 30th and 31st of January, when HMRC received 980,000 returns. The busiest hour was between 1pm and 2pm on 30 January, when almost 50,000 returns were received – 830 per minute!
  • The busiest hour on deadline day was between 11 am and midday. Almost 32,000 returns were received then – 530 per minute. Amazingly, HMRC managed to answer 95% of calls first time on deadline day.
  • Around 4.3 million customers (42%) left it until January to file their returns. This is despite HMRC asking for them back in April!
  • 210,000 more people are filing their returns on time than last year.
  • Christmas Day saw just over 2,000 Tax Returns submitted and Boxing Day another 5,400.
  • A record of nearly 25,000 tax returns were submitted on New Year's Eve. Another 11,500 came in on New Year's Day.
  • 600 people made a flying start on their New Year's resolutions, submitting their return between midnight and 10am.
  • Missing the tax return deadline lands you in an automatic £100 late-filing penalty. Those fines ratchet up further after 3, 6 and 12 months. A genuine reason might stop the penalty pain, but don't count on it.

Tax Return Fees

How much do accountants charge for Self Assessment tax returns?

Some accountants offer fixed fee tax return services, while others work on hourly rates.  Either way, the amount that traditional accountants charge for tax return vary widely.  A lot depends on your circumstances.  For example, for fixed fee tax returns, a CIS subcontractor might be charged £250.  However, the same accountant might charge £350 for a Sole Trader with full accountants to handle.  A partnership might be charged £400 or more for the same service, while Limited Companies could easily find themselves billed £650+.  For hourly rates, tax return accountant fees as high as £120 per hour aren't unusual.

RIFT is different. Our tax return service has no hourly rates to wrestle with and no hidden charges to spring on you. Our fixed-rate prices start at just £95+VAT and our CIS Tax Return and Refund package is £245+VAT, and our free Tax Return Calculator means you get no nasty surprises. Just answer a few questions and we'll give you a simple fixed-fee tax return quote. 

Tax refunds and tax returns

What's the difference between a tax refund and a tax return?

A tax refund is the money HMRC owes you back when you've paid too much tax. A tax return, on the other hand, is one of the tools you use to claim your refund. If you're paying out over £2,500 in work expenses each year, for example, the taxman will need a tax return from you to claim your refund.

If you're self-employed, or on the CIS (Construction Industry Scheme), you'll use a Self Assessment tax return to tell HMRC about the money you've got coming in and going out. It's still easy to end up paying too much tax through Self Assessment, though, so it's worth getting professional help.

Tax Calculator

UTR Number

What's a UTR number?

A Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number is a 10 digit code that's unique to either you or your company. It's something HMRC uses to identify you.

If you work in trades and need a UTR number we can help. We can also help if you've lost your UTR number. Click the button below to find out more.

UTR Number Help

Current tax year

What is the current tax year in the UK?

Tax years in the UK run from the 6th April to the 5th April the following calendar year. For example, the tax year covering 2018/2019 ended on the 5th April 2019. This means your tax rebate can cover expenses from 2015/16.

As for why the tax year is worked out from such odd dates - well, it's complicated. The short answer is to blame Pope Gregory XIII and the fact that September 1752 was missing 11 days.  After that, things get tricky...


CIS Tax Returns

If you are working via the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), you’ll be required to file a self assessment tax return after your first year of trading and subsequent years. You’ll complete your tax return at the end of the tax year in April and pay any taxes that are due by the following January.

We have a dedicated CIS tax return team standing by and ready to help with any queries you may have. Click on the green button below to find out more.

CIS Tax Returns

RIFT Reviews

Here's what our customers say

We pride ourselves with being the first company in the tax sector to be awarded ServiceMark by the institute of Customer Service. That's because we're known for our friendly, helpful and jargon free approach to tax returns and tax rebates. But don't just take our word for it, check out our reviews. We invite our customers to tell us what they think about their experience with us on Trustpilot, an independent reviews site.

Trustpilot Reviews

Tax Return Experts

Our Understanding

Self Assessment affects more than just the self-employed, and traditional accountants just don't have the experience to keep up. RIFT keeps everything smooth and simple:

  • Self Assessment can be daunting at first. We'll get you properly registered as part of our tax return service.
  • We make sure you can always get hold of us, when and how you want.
  • We cut the jargon, making complex tax situations straightforward so you always know where you stand.
  • We keep pace with your changing tax needs, while general accountants fall behind.
Tax Return Quote

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat