A P60 End of Year Certificate is a handy little piece of HMRC paperwork that shows how much you’ve been paid in a given tax year. On top of that, your P60 will also show the tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs) taken out of your pay through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system.

When you work “on the books” (as opposed to being self-employed, for instance), you’ll get a form called a P60 by the 31st of May after the tax year ends. You should keep hold of it, too. When you find yourself getting up close and personal with the taxman, it’s often critical that you can prove how much money you’ve made and how much tax you’ve paid. Your P60 is basically the simplest and best way to do exactly that.

Start for free>