As a junior doctor, there are several things you can do to claim back tax from HMRC. Every time you spend money as an essential part of doing your job, you could be entitled to a tax rebate. The PAYE system does a pretty good job generally, but it can be a pretty blunt tool. For instance, it doesn't always cope well when you pay to travel for your job, or have other work-related costs. As a result, people are often confused about what doctors can claim tax back on.  In turn, that means a lot a lot of people end up paying too much tax, and have to claim some back. Depending on your situation, you'll do this either directly or through a Self Assessment tax return.

As the UK's leading tax experts, RIFT are ideally suited to offer tax advice for doctors on which expenses can claim tax back. We can even handle the whole process for you, including taking care of paperwork, dealing with HMRC and providing year-round aftercare.

Start for free >Tax Calculator