Claim tax back with HMRC tax refunds

Whether you're a builder, plumber, joiner, electrician, or even scaffolder - if your employer doesn't reimburse you in full for your work travel, you should be claiming tax back through a HMRC tax refund on your travel expenses. The same applies if you're construction sales staff too.  In fact, it really doesn't matter what your job is.  If you drive your own car or take public transport to work at different locations, HMRC tax rules mean you can claim tax back on travel expenses.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Do you qualify for a tax refund from HMRC?

£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

Claim Tax Back

You can claim tax back with RIFT if you:

RIFT can handle the whole process for you, and get your money back in your pocket fast! We take all the hassle and guesswork out of your tax refund claims and we always keep you in the loop.  Your free MyRIFT account gives you instant access to all your claim information, and you can update it at anytime.

Do I Qualify

HMRC Tax Refunds

Claiming tax back: how and why

Claiming tax back from HMRC can be tricky.  Most people don't know how to make a tax rebate claim, or even that they're allowed to do it! It only takes a few seconds to check. Answer 4 quick questions to find out.

There are lots of reasons why you might be able to get a tax refund from the taxman.Whatever your job, if you're paying for the following:

  • Travel to temporary workplaces
  • Accommodation costs
  • Laundry costs
  • Tools or specialist equipment
  • Professional subscriptions, union or license fees
  • Any expenses incurred while on training courses

And your employer doesn't reimburse you in full you could be due a HMRC tax refund.

RIFT Refunds can take you through the whole process. We'll show you how to calculate your expenses, keep the records you'll need and, work out if you're due a tax rebate. Most importantly, we'll make sure you claim back the tax you're owed. It's your money - let's get it back in your pocket where it belongs!

Do I Qualify?

Claim Tax Back

Claim back travel expenses from HMRC

We're often asked ''can I claim for travel expenses in my taxes?''

Anyone who travels to temporary workplaces, pays some or all of the travel costs themselves, and is employed PAYE can qualify for a tax rebate. Even if your employer pays you a mileage allowance, if it’s not at the HMRC standard rate you can claim the difference via a work mileage tax rebate. It doesn’t matter what job you do. We’ve claimed tax refunds for mechanics, security guards, forensic analysts and even deep sea divers.

You might also qualify to claim tax back for other expenses - like a uniform tax rebate for washing your work uniform or a food tax refund for buying lunch. We can even claim tax back for jobs you’ve left, as long as it’s in the last four years. We’re HMRC tax refund experts so we can tell you exactly what you can and can’t claim tax for.

Some of the people we help most often include people who work in catering, childcare, teaching, retail and sales, or who are cleaners and drivers in any field. Our quick tax rebate calculator takes less than a minute to complete and gives you an instant estimate of you what you could be owed. With just 4 simple questions to answer, that could be most valuable minute of your week!

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Travel Tax Back

Claiming travel expenses: understanding the rules

One of the main things people tend to miss out on is the travel tax refund. If you're out and about a lot for work, travelling to temporary workplaces, you might be owed money. Whether you commute or use your own vehicle, tax refunds can put that cash back in your pocket. You might also have a tax refund claim for food or accommodation costs from your temporary workplaces, too. 

Remember that you can only claim for travel to temporary workplaces, meaning you're there for under 2 years. You can't get a tax rebate for your regular commute to the office, for instance. Talk to RIFT to find out if you're eligible.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Claiming Tax Back

How to claim a tax refund through PAYE

If your circumstances change during the tax year, you may end up paying too much tax on your income. For instance, you might have stopped work, changed your hours or only worked during university holidays. When this happens, you can claim back the tax you've overpaid.

How you claim depends on your situation. You may be able to get your refund directly through your tax code, or you may have to claim it as a direct payment. There are rules and deadlines to watch out for, and evidence you have to provide. You can find out more on whether you are due a tax refund and what industries claim on our site.

Do I qualify?

Claim tax back

PAYE Tax Refunds Team

Not everyone RIFT helps is a soldier, oil rig technician or self-employed business owner. Many are working under normal PAYE rules, and often didn't even realise they could claim tax back on travel expenses. RIFT are the UK's leading tax experts, and our knowledge of HMRC's rules is unparalleled. Whatever problems or questions you have regarding HMRC, we can help.

Do I Qualify?

P800 Tax Calculations

What is a P800 tax calculation and what do I do if I get one?

If you're employed or receiving a pension, HMRC will check each year to make sure you've paid the right tax. If they spot a mistake in either direction, they'll send you a P800 tax calculation to even things up.

A P800 is a form HMRC sends to you when they think you've paid the wrong amount of tax. It tells you what they've decided is the right amount, which may be more or less than you've actually paid. If you've underpaid, they'll tell you what you have to do to fix it. If you've paid too much, they'll send you a refund. 

Remember that HMRC won't always know when you're owed a refund. For example they won’t know how many miles you’ve driven for work, but they will know if your PAYE income changes. You'll often have to prove it to them yourself and that’s why it’s important to keep good business records. That's where RIFT can help you.

If HMRC send you a P800 calculation you need to check it thoroughly to make sure the taxman's got his facts straight.  If he has, no problem.  You generally don't need to do anything more.  

If you owe under £3,000 you'll probably end up paying it back over the next year.  If it's more, they'll get in touch to let you know how to pay and of course if you've overpaid you can start the process of claiming tax back.

Do I qualify?

Tax refunds and being self employed

Will I get a P800 if I'm registered for a self assessment?

No, the self assessment tax return system has its own way of fixing mistakes. Instead of a sending out a P800 tax calculation, HMRC will just adjust your tax bill automatically. You should see the corrected version when you log into your account on the HMRC site.

HMRC Tax Refunds

How will HMRC send my tax refund to me?

If you're owed a tax refund, you'll usually get a cheque within a couple of weeks.  If you use RIFT to claim your tax back for your then HMRC will send it to us and we'll send it to you by cheque or bank transfer, whichever you prefer.

HMRC Tax Refunds

What if HMRC gets it wrong?

If you think there's a mistake in your P800, then you need to get in touch with HMRC quickly to sort it out.  You might have to sit on a phone queue for a while but it may be your only way or correcting the error.  If you're a RIFT client, we'll handle all that for you as part of our service.

Claim Tax Back

Can I claim tax back for previous years?

Yes, but the clock is ticking! If you haven't claimed back your tax from 2013/14 by the 6th April 2018, you've lost it forever! The taxman swallows up about £180 million in unclaimed refunds each year.  Talk to RIFT today to make sure you don't lose yours.  If you know any friends who might have a claim, make sure they don't lose a year, either.  Give us their details and we'll send them a link to check and pay you £50 if they claim with RIFT.

You can generally claim a tax rebate on the last 4 years of your expenses.  The countdown starts at the end of the tax year you overpaid in (the 5th of April).  On very rare cases, you might be able to get your money back after the time limit's up.  However, that only happens when you overpaid because of a mistake by HMRC or the government. 

Do I qualify?

HMRC Timescales

How long does it take for a tax refund to go into my bank?

On average it takes HMRC around 8-10 weeks to process your tax refund. The sooner you start your refund and and send us the information we need, the sooner we can get your cash back. We have 7 dedicated specialist teams who are working hard to maximise your refund and get it to you fast.

Do I Qualify?

Claim Tax Back

About RIFT Tax Refunds

It’s easy and free to find out if you can claim an HMRC tax rebate. It won’t cost you anything to find out, and you might find you're due a big cheque. Our expert team are based in the UK and are here to help. We’ve been in business since 1999, claiming tax rebates for employees like you.

It won’t cost you a penny to find out if you’ve got a claim so use our simple qualification form to see if you could claim tax back.

Do I qualify?

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your HMRC tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

Learn more

Refer a Friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get a tax refund and get an extra £50 in your own pocket! At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us.

We love it so much that we reward you for doing it! To thank you we'll give you £50 for everyone you recommend (T&Cs apply) who claims with us, but we'll give you a bonus of an extra £150 if 5 people do.

That's £400 in your pocket as well as the warm glow you get from helping out your mates. 

Refer Your Friends Now

Refer a friend

Get started

Simply enter your friend’s name and email address on our referral form, and we’ll send them a one off email to let them know you think RIFT tax refunds could help them.

  • If they get in touch and claim a refund, we’ll send you a £50 reward for your help.
  • And for every 5 you send that claim, you get an extra £150 bonus. 

Ask us any questions on Facebook, Livechat or call us on 01233 628648.

How does it work?

Tax Refund Calculator

Use our calculator to find out what you're owed.

Do you qualify for a tax refund?

Find out if you're due a refund.

Online Tax Refund

Get started with your tax refund claim now.

RIFT Tax Refunds

Find out more about RIFT.

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat