Claiming back tax with HMRC tax refunds

You could be owed a HMRC tax refund if you travel for work or pay out essential expenses yourself.  Every year, many thousands on people pay too much HMRC, simply because they don't realise tax refund exist.  Thousands more have heard of the tax refund system, but don't understand that it applies to them.  Even if you're already taxed via PAYE or the Construction Industry Scheme, you could still be owed a refund.


Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Do you qualify for a tax refund from HMRC?

£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

Claim Tax Back

You can claim back a HMRC Tax Refund if you...

Claiming tax back from HMRC can be tricky. Most people don't know how to make a tax refund claim, or even that they're allowed to do it! There are lots of reasons why you might be able to get a refund from the taxman. Take work travel, for instance.  Whatever your job, if you're employer doesn't pay your travel expenses in full, you could be due a HMRC tax refund.  If you drive your own car or take public transport to work at different locations, tax rules mean you can claim back tax for your costs.

RIFT Refunds can take you through the whole process. We'll show you how to calculate your expenses, keep the records you'll need and, work out if you're due a tax rebate. Most importantly, we'll make sure you claim back the tax you're owed. It's your money - let's get it back in your pocket!

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Claim Tax Back

Paying for your work travel expenses? You could claim tax back from HMRC.

Anyone who travels to temporary places of work, pays some or all of the travel costs themselves, and is employed PAYE can qualify for a tax refund. Even if your employer pays you a mileage allowance, if it’s not at the HMRC standard rate you can claim the difference via a work mileage tax rebate. It doesn’t matter what job you do. In the past, we’ve claimed tax refunds for mechanics, security guards, forensic analysts and even deep sea divers.

You might also qualify to claim tax back for other expenses like a uniform tax rebate for washing your work uniform or a food tax refund for buying lunch. We can even claim tax back for jobs you’ve left, as long as it’s in the last four years. We’re HMRC tax refund experts so we can tell you exactly what you can and can’t claim tax for.

Some of the people we help most often include people who work in catering, childcare, teaching, retail and sales, or who are cleaners and drivers in any field. Our quick tax rebate calculator takes less than a minute to complete and gives you an instant estimate of you what you could be owed.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Travel Tax Back

Travel tax refund

One of the main rebates people tend to miss out on is the travel tax refund. If you're out and about a lot for work, travelling to temporary workplaces, you might be owed money. Whether you commute or use your own vehicle, tax refunds can put money back in your pocket. You might also have a tax refund claim for food or accommodation costs from your temporary workplaces, too. 

Remember that you can only claim for travel to temporary workplaces, meaning you're there for under 2 years. You can't get a tax refund for your regular commute to the office. Talk to RIFT to find out if you're eligible.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Claiming Tax Back

How do I claim tax back paid through PAYE?

If your circumstances change during the tax year, you may end up paying too much tax on your income. For instance, you might have stopped work, changed your hours or only worked during university holidays. When this happens, you can claim back the tax you've overpaid.

How you claim depends on your situation. You may be able to get your refunds directly through your tax code, or you may have to claim it as a direct payment. There are rules and deadlines to watch out for, and evidence you have to provide. You can find out more on whether you are due a tax refund and what industries claim on our site.

Do I qualify?

Our Specialist PAYE tax refund Team

PAYE Tax Refunds Team

Not everyone RIFT helps is a soldier, oil rig technician or self-employed business owner. Many are working under normal PAYE rules, and often didn't even realise they could claim tax refunds. RIFT are the UK's leading tax experts, and our knowledge of HMRC's rules is unparalleled. Whatever problems or questions you have regarding HMRC, we can help.

Do I Qualify?

P800 Tax Calculations

What is a P800 tax calculation?

A P800 is a form HMRC sends to you when they think you've paid the wrong amount of tax. It tells you what they've decided is the right amount, which may be more or less than you've actually paid. If you've underpaid, they'll tell you what you have to do to fix it. If you've paid too much, they'll send you a refund.

Remember that HMRC won't always know when you're owed a refund (for example they won’t know how many miles you’ve driven for work, but they will know if your PAYE income changes). You'll often have to prove it to them yourself and that’s why it’s important to keep good business records. That's where RIFT can help you.

Do I qualify?

Getting Tax Back

Can I claim tax back for previous years?

You can generally claim back any tax you're owed for up to four years. The countdown starts at the end of the tax year you overpaid in (the 5th of April). In very rare cases, you might be able to get your money back after the time limit's up. However, that only happens when you overpaid because of a mistake by HMRC or the government.

Do I qualify?

HMRC Timescales

How long does it take for a tax refund to go into my bank?

On average it takes HMRC around 8-10 weeks to process your tax refund. The sooner you start your refund and provide us with the information we need, the sooner we can get your cash back. We have 7 dedicated specialist teams who are working hard to maximise your refund and get it to you fast.

Do I Qualify?

Claim Tax Back

About RIFT Tax Refunds

It’s easy and free to find out if you can claim an HMRC tax rebate. It won’t cost you anything to find out, and you never know you might be due a big cheque. Our expert team are based in the UK and are here to help. We’ve been in business since 1999, claiming tax rebates for employees like you.

It won’t cost you a penny to find out if you’ve got a claim so use our simple qualification form to see if you could claim tax back.

Do I qualify?

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your HMRC tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

Learn more

Refer a Friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get a tax refund and get an extra £50 in your own pocket! At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us.

We love it so much that we reward you for doing it! To thank you we'll give you £50 for everyone you recommend (T&Cs apply) who claims with us, but we'll give you a bonus of an extra £150 if 5 people do.

That's £400 in your pocket as well as the warm glow you get from helping out your mates. 

Refer Your Friends Now

Refer a friend

Get started

Simply enter your friend’s name and email address on our referral form, and we’ll send them a one off email to let them know you think RIFT tax refunds could help them.

  • If they get in touch and claim a refund, we’ll send you a £50 reward for your help.
  • And for every 5 you send that claim, you get an extra £150 bonus. 

Ask us any questions on Facebook, Livechat or call us on 01233 628648.

RIFT Reviews

Here's what our customers say

We pride ourselves with being the first company in the tax sector to be awarded ServiceMark by the institute of Customer Service. That's because we're known for our friendly, helpful and jargon free approach to tax matters. But don't just take our word for it, check out our reviews. We invite our customers to tell us what they think about their experience with us on, an independent reviews site.

Read our reviews

How does it work?

Tax Refund Calculator

Use our calculator to find out what you're owed.

Do you qualify for a tax refund?

Find out if you're due a refund.

Online Tax Refund

Get started with your tax refund claim now.

RIFT Tax Refunds

Find out more about RIFT.

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?