Tax refunds for professional sports

Professionals in sport can claim a "sports player tax refund" on their expenses. Often, that means travel costs, but other expenses are allowed. An average 4-year refund claimed through RIFT comes to £2,500.

Start for free > Tax Calculator

Sports Tax Refunds

Information you need for a sports tax refund

We need the following information to assess your travel tax refund and hopefully process your claim:

  • A list of the all places you've travelled to work - This is the most important thing. We'll also need to know how long you worked at each one. We don't need the exact dates and locations but try to give as much detail as you can.
  • Receipts for expenses (if you have them) - This can include any equipment you've needed to buy and any laundry costs for your kit.
  • Contract of employment - However many you have had during the period you are claiming for.
  • Copy of your photo ID - Driving licence or passport.
  • Proof of address - Utility bills or bank statements.
  • Wage slips - From April 2016 onwards.
  • Other supporting documents - MOT certificate for your vehicle, P60 end of year certificates from 2016 onwards or P45s from 2016 (if you have any).

You will also be required to set up a Personal Tax Account. It's free and you'll be able to see everything to do with your tax, including all information from employers, banks and building societies and other government departments all in one place. Find out more here.

Start for free>


Don't have a travel claim but pay for other expenses? WorkCostsR4U!

If you don’t travel for work, or if you get your travel costs reimbursed by your employer, you could still have work expenses to claim back tax for. For example, you might be paying for:

  • Upkeep and replacement of your kit and other specialised clothes
  • Professional fees and subscriptions that you need to do your job.

Our friends at WorkCostsR4U make it simple and fast to claim back the tax you’re owed on these kinds of expenses. They can handle it all online in minutes, without the paperwork and record keeping of a travel tax refund claim.

You could be owed hundreds of pounds, or have claims dating back as far as 4 years. 2 out of 3 UK workers are missing out on what they’re owed each year. 

Visit WorkCostsR4U

Sports Tax Refunds

What kinds of expenses can I claim for?

Are you a professional sports player or athlete? Do you drive your own vehicle as part of your job? If so, there's a strong chance you've overpaid your tax and you could be due a tax rebate. Here's what you can get professional sports tax relief on:

  • Travel to training grounds.
  • Travel to away games.
  • Travel to reserve games.
  • Travel to home matches (if on loan).
  • Travel for medical treatment.
  • Kit and laundry costs.
  • Food and accommodation while travelling.

Don’t worry about having to fill in a complicated tax return. We know how much time and energy you pour into your sport, so leave the financial legwork to us. We'll complete a professional sports tax return on your behalf.

Start for free >

RIFT Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your sports tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

RIFT Guarantee

Tax rebates for sports players

My club pays some of my expenses, can I still claim?

Usually, yes.  The only exception is when your club has paid you the full 45p per mile, tax-free, for the first 10,000 miles in a year and 25p per mile for anything over that.  If they've paid less than that, e.g. 10p per mile, then you can claim the difference.

Tax Rebates for training

Can I claim a tax refund for training expenses?

You may be able to claim tax back for training depending on several factors, including time spent at training and the mileage from the home ground or cost of public transport to get there.  Use our tax calculator to get a free, instant estimate of how much tax you could be due back.

Tax Rebates for training

Can I claim if I only play part time?

Many sports professionals have a full-time or part-time job to supplement their income, and may earn additional money by coaching or instructing their sport.  If you become very successful then you may earn additional money through things like sponsorships or advertising contracts - all of which you'll need to declare to HMRC through submitting a self assessment tax return.

As long as you pay on your earnings we can look into making a claim for you.

Tax Return Quote

Sports Tax Refunds

What if I haven't claimed previous years?

If it turns out the taxman's owed you money for a while, you can still get up to the last four years' worth back. This means your first claim could be more than £2,500! There's no reason to let HMRC hold onto money that should be in your pocket.

Sports Tax Refunds

What if I don't have a tax refund claim?

It costs nothing to find out if you've overpaid with our quick tax refund calculator. If you're owed cash, we'll chase HMRC for it at no cost to you until it’s paid. We don't charge our fee until you get your money back.

Tax returns

Tax returns and self assessment tax returns with RIFT

What is a tax return and how much tax do I owe? A common question and there are a few ways to work out how much tax you should be paying. If you're employed then tax will be taken from your salary by your employer using your tax code. If you have other sources of income, though, you may have calculations to make to work out your tax return. If you file self assessment tax returns then tax returns can be difficult to get right and dangerous to get wrong.

If you are now self-employed then you should get yourself registered as self-employed as soon as possible after you start trading. The deadline's the 5th of October in the year you started your self-employment. Miss that, and you're risking self assessment tax return penalties based on the potential lost tax. However, with RIFT on your side we can ensure that your tax returns are in safe hands.

Sport Tax Rebates

Sports tax refunds in action

Matt is a professional footballer and has played for a number of clubs across the leagues, including Newcastle United, Port Vale, Accrington Stanley and Barrow AFC. He's been claiming travel expenses with RIFT since 2001 and has received a total of £11,409. As well as claiming for travel to away games and temporary training grounds, Matt has also claimed for travel to medical appointments and for his football boots and shin pads that he bought himself. Matt was on loan to Macclesfield Town for four months and received a refund of £631 for this period alone because all loans count as “temporary workplaces” under the HMRC rules.

Start for free

Customer stories

I've had a refund every year for 10 years.

"RIFT have helped me out for years now. I’ve got a refund every year for 10 years and I’m always happy when the cheque comes through the door. Playing in League Two means I’m always going to different training grounds and stadiums in the UK and abroad. I didn’t realise getting back so much money every year would be so easy – I haven’t got time to do all the paperwork so RIFT really take any stress away by doing it all for me."

Dean Morgan, 30, Wycombe Wanderers

Start for free

Refer A Friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get their tax refund and get extra cash in your own pocket! 

At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us. We love it so much that we’re rewarding you for doing it!

We'll give you £50 for every friend you refer (T&Cs apply) that claims with us, plus we'll give you a £150 bonus when 5 people claim with us.

Simply tell us about your friend using our Refer a Friend form and we’ll get in touch to let them know you think they might have a claim.

Refer a Friend

Why use RIFT Refunds?

You will benefit from

RIFT Guarantee

If HMRC wants your refund back, we cover it.

No hidden costs

It costs nothing to find out if you have a claim.

Outstanding service

Rated by Institute of Customer Service.

All aftercare included

Free tax advice throughout the year.


Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat