Electricians Tax Rebate

We work closely with the Joint Industry Board (JIB) to help electricians claim back tax from HMRC. From electrical fitters and engineers to electrical machine repairers and maintenance electricians, spending money to do your job means you could be owed tax back.

Electrician Tax Refunds

I work as an electrician. Can I claim a tax rebate?

Absolutely! Working in the construction industry, you've probably already heard about the skills shortage crisis we're facing. An estimated 25% of all UK job vacancies in 2015-16 were down to not having enough qualified professionals for skilled positions. The electrical industry is among the worst hit by the crisis. That means it's more important than ever to make sure that working as an electrician pays off. RIFT is doing its part by keeping the taxman honest and putting tax back in electricians' pockets throughout the industry. The more people claim back what they're owed by HMRC, the better shape the whole sector will be in. We've already clawed back almost £6 million in tax for our electrician clients, with an average 4-year tax rebate of £2,773 each.

Start for free

Tax Rebate Expenses

What expenses count towards an electrician's tax refund?

In a lot of cases, it's the cash you spend on travel that entitles you to a tax rebate. The rules on tax relief say that any location you work at for under 24 months can count as a "temporary workplace". Travel to temporary workplaces is the core of most tax refund claims. It makes no difference if you're driving your own car or van or using public transport to get there. If you're spending money getting to and from a temporary workplace you could qualify for a tax refund.

Even if your employer's footing the bill for some of your travel costs, you might still be owed money. There are specific rates set by HMRC for the mileage you're stacking up. If you aren't getting the full amount reimbursed, you can claim back the difference from HMRC.

It's not just travel that entitles you to claim cash back, either. As an electrician, you know all too well how important your safety gear is. If you're paying for its upkeep or replacement from your own pocket, then you can claim some tax relief. The same goes for any uniforms you have to wear on the job, or tools you need to work. Even membership and subscription fees to professional bodies can entitle you to a tax refund. For instance, that might include the application or renewal fees for your Electrotechnical Certification Scheme card.

At the end of the day, this is all your money we're talking about. Tax refunds aren't about getting one over on HMRC. They're about getting back what the taxman owes you. HMRC actively wants you to claim the money back. They just don't always do a great job of telling you about refunds or making the process easy for you. That's where RIFT Refunds comes in.

Self Employed Electricians

I'm a self-employed electrician. Can I still claim tax relief?

Yes, definitely - and RIFT's specialist Construction Industry Scheme team is ready to help. The CIS system is basically docking you 20% of your pay before you even get it. In a lot of cases, that means you aren't getting the full benefit of your tax-free Personal Allowance. RIFT can help you sort out your CIS tax returns to make sure you aren't losing out on what you're owed.

As a self-employed electrotechnical professional, you're spending a lot of money just to keep yourself in business. All of these unavoidable expenses can count against the profits your business is paying tax on. Getting your head around the "allowable expenses" system can be as technical as the job you do. RIFT are the UK's leading tax experts, though. With a few basic details from you we can take on the taxman on your behalf.

Start for free

Electrotechnical Certification Scheme

RIFT and the ECS

RIFT has been working in partnership with the ECS since 2012 and has claimed back over £1 million for cardholders.

ECS members enjoy some of our biggest refunds with one electrician getting a whopping £10,798!

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat