A tax code is a string of letters and numbers that tells HMRC how much tax you should be paying. The standard code for 2018/19 is 1185L. It can also list any special rates or circumstances that apply. The numbers refer to your Personal Allowance (divided by 10) while the L just means that there are no special circumstances to consider. Use the table below to check your tax code.