Do I have to file a self assessment tax return if I'm a partner in a business?

When you set up a partnership and get it registered with HMRC, one of you becomes the "nominated partner". If that's you, it's your responsibility to manage the partnership's tax returns. This is on top of filing your personal self assessment tax returns. If you've got another job outside the partnership, you still have to do this.