Tax refunds for healthcare workers

If you are a healthcare worker for the NHS or a private healthcare company, you can claim a tax refund for certain travel costs from the taxman. The average 4 year healthcare worker tax refund claim is worth around £2,500. You could even claim for other expenses like washing your uniform.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Do you qualify for a tax refund from HMRC?

£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

Healthcare tax refunds

Information you need for a healthcare tax refund

We need the following information to assess your tax refund and hopefully process your claim:

  • A list of the all places you've travelled to work - This is the most important thing. We'll also need to know how long you worked at each one. We don't need the exact dates and locations but try to give as much detail as you can.
  • Receipts for expenses (if you have them) - This can include laundry costs for your uniform, any meals or professional body subscriptions if you pay for these at your own expense.
  • Contract of employment - However many you have had during the period you are claiming for.
  • Copy of your photo ID - Driving licence or passport.
  • Proof of address - Utility bills or bank statements.
  • Wage slips - From April 2013 onwards.
  • Other supporting documents - MOT certificate for your vehicle, P60 end of year certificates from 2013 onwards or P45s from 2013 (if you have any).

You can find our more here or give us a shout and we can talk you through it.

You will also be required to set up a Personal Tax Account.  It's free and you'll be able to see everything to do with your tax, including all information from employers, banks and building societies and other government departments all in one place.  Find out more here.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Learn More

Healthcare tax refunds

Healthcare tax refunds done right

The average 4 year tax refund from RIFT is £2,500. Over £80 million a year goes unclaimed from HMRC, so don't miss out.  See how easy it is to claim your share.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Healthcare Tax Refunds

Healthcare tax refunds explained

Whether you're a nurse, midwife, physiotherapist or have another healthcare role, your employer might already cover some of your travel expenses. Don't worry: we're experts in this area, so we work within the HMRC rules to make sure we claim exactly what you’re entitled to. Our free tax refund calculator can also help you.

We helped Caroline, an occupational therapist, to claim back the healthcare worker tax rebate she deserved. Caroline works for the NHS. She runs two weekly clinics in her local hospital and also visits clients at home. Every day, her mileage ranges from 10 to 50 miles. Caroline gets 15p per mile for her travel, which she claims back by filling in mileage sheets.

At the end of each tax year, Caroline sends copies of her mileage sheets to us at RIFT. We deduct the travel expenses she’s already received to work out how much extra she can claim. Caroline’s tax refund is usually about £350 for the year. For a four-year claim, that adds up to a very healthy £1,400.

Tax Calculator

Healthcare Tax Refunds

Can healthcare staff get tax refunds?

Far too few people in the industry know about healthcare worker tax rebates - spending your life looking after other people shouldn't mean losing money that's rightly yours. Whether you’re a community midwife, in private healthcare, health visitor or locum consultant, you might be overpaying your tax and due a tax refund. A healthcare worker tax refund is for anyone who’s:

  • Employed PAYE.
  • Travelling to different places for work.
  • Paying some or all of their travel costs themselves.
Do I Qualify?

Healthcare Tax Refunds

Does it matter if I'm self-employed?

If you're self-employed in the healthcare sector you may still be owed money. We can get back all the expenses you're entitled to in your healthcare tax return. You can find everything you need to know on our self assessment tax return pages including important tax return deadlines and common tax return mistakes.

Do I Qualify?

Healthcare Tax Refunds

What if my employer contributes to expenses?

Your employer might already cover some of your travel expenses. Don't worry, we're experts and we know HMRC's rules inside and out. We'll get back tax you're owed and never claim anything you're not entitled to. That way, you get the most out of your healthcare worker tax refund and still stay in the taxman's good books!

Do I Qualify?

Tax returns

Tax returns and self assessment tax returns with RIFT

What is a tax return and how much tax do I owe? A common question and there are a few ways to work out how much tax you should be paying. If you're employed then tax will be taken from your salary by your employer using your tax code. If you have other sources of income, though, you may have calculations to make to work out your tax return. If you file self assessment tax returns then tax returns can be difficult to get right and dangerous to get wrong.

If you are now self-employed then you should get yourself registered as self-employed as soon as possible after you start trading. The deadline's the 5th of October in the year you started your self-employment. Miss that, and you're risking self assessment tax return penalties based on the potential lost tax. However, with RIFT on your side we can ensure that your tax returns are in safe hands.

Tax return quote Tax calculator

How does it work?

RIFT Tax Refund Calculator

Use our tax refund calculator to find out what you're owed.

So you qualify for a tax refund claim

Find out if you're due a refund.

Start your tax refund claim

Get started with your tax refund claim now.

RIFT Tax Refunds

Find out more about RIFT.

Healthcare Tax Refunds

NHS Tax Relief

If you're working for the NHS, tax relief might not seem like something you could benefit from. However, you could easily be owed a tax rebate for your travel costs, or for extra expenses like laundry bills for your work clothes. Even if you're getting some of your expenses paid back by the NHS, you could still claim a tax refund. Whatever your situation, we'll quickly be able to tell you if you're owed money.

Example: Jody is a nurse working through an agency. She typically has several different jobs to do each day, and uses her own car to travel between them. Her travels from home to the first job of the day and her journey home aren’t covered. All her trips between jobs during the day qualify, though.

There are many more examples of legitimate work expenses. If you're paying for subscriptions to professional bodies like the Royal College of Nursing, you might qualify for an NHS tax refund on them. Whatever you're shelling out for, it needn't be complicated to claim. In fact, many of your out-of-pocket costs can be claimed as Flat Rate Expenses. These are simplified claims that estimate what your typical costs might be.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Tax refunds for nurses

I work as a nurse. What kind of tax relief can I claim?

Nurses, like other healthcare workers, are entitled to make tax refund claims. Whether you're a district, neonatal or prison nurse, there's no reason to miss out on the tax relief your hard work earns you. If your nursing job requires you to travel to patients' homes, for instance, then those homes could count as ''temporary workplaces''. As a result, you'll qualify for a tax refund on your travel costs.

In addition to travel, nurses can also claim for the repair, replacement and cleaning of their uniforms. Any initial purchases costs won't count, but if you're paying for laundry or repairs to your work clothes, you could be owed money.

Another easily missed rule is the tax relief nurses are entitled to on subscriptions to professional bodies. Payments to organisations like The Royal College of Nursing or The Nursing and Midwifery Council are good examples of this. To qualify you for a refund, membership either has to be essential to get your job or helpful in performing it.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Ex-Military Offshore Healthcare

Former Armed Forces personnel in offshore healthcare

Finding your place back in civilian life can be a challenge after a career in the Armed Forces. Attitudes are gradually changing, but employers are still too often wary of taking on people with military backgrounds. What many are starting to realise, though, is that so much of what you bring home from Armed Forces life is incredibly valuable. You've worked hard building your skills and testing your character, and there are sectors crying out to put both to use.

If you work in offshore healthcare, you already know it's not for the faint of heart of weak of body. These are hard jobs in tough conditions, and not everyone is cut out for them. Military experience proves you're up to the challenge, but it also shows you understand the value of teamwork. RIFT works with service leavers every day, helping them move into civilian life. Often, they don't even realise they can continue getting tax refunds after leaving the military. We help them make the most of their new careers, and reclaim what they're still owed from their Armed Forces days. Tax refunds can be claimed for up to 4 years, so even if you've already left it may not be too late. Whatever you decide to do with your civilian life, talk to RIFT about getting back the tax you're owed.

Do I Qualify?

Refer a Friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get a tax refund to kick off the new year - and get an extra £50 in your own pocket! At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us.

We love it so much that we reward you for doing it! To thank you we'll give you £50 for everyone you recommend (T&Cs apply) who claims with us, but we'll give you a bonus of an extra £150 if 5 people do.

That's £400 in your pocket as well as the warm glow you get from helping out your mates.

Refer Your Friends Now

Refer a Friend

Get started

Simply enter your friend’s name and email address on our referral form, and we’ll send them a one off email to let them know you think RIFT tax refunds could help them.

  • If they get in touch and claim a refund, we’ll send you a £50 reward for your help.
  • And for every 5 you send that claim, you get an extra £150 bonus. 

Ask us any questions on Facebook, Livechat or call us on 01233 628648.

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?