Work Mileage Tax Rebate

Unless your employer’s giving you a big enough mileage allowance for your work travel, you’re probably owed a tax rebate from HMRC. RIFT Tax Refunds is the UK’s leading expert on tackling the taxman, and our free tax refund calculator will give you an instant estimate of what you’re owed.

HMRC Mileage Claim

Could I be due a HMRC mileage tax rebate?

To qualify for a tax rebate on your mileage, you need to be:

  • Making your own way to temporary workplaces (where you work for less than 24 months).
  • Doing essential travel as part of the job, like client or supplier visits.

A standard commute to a permanent workplace won’t earn you any tax relief, and it’s not just a question of getting back your costs. What you’re actually claiming back is the tax you’ve paid on your travel expenses. Getting confused over what you’re owed is a big reason why people claim too little or too much tax back. That can mean missing out badly, or even getting on the wrong side of HMRC.

Start For Free >

HMRC Mileage Claim

How do HMRC mileage claims work?

At RIFT, we’ve got teams of experts to make sure you don’t miss out on the refunds you’re owed. We’ll keep you in the loop throughout the process through your free MyRIFT account. Wherever you are in the world, you can ask questions, update details and check your claim’s progress at any time. Here’s how a mileage rebate works:

  • HMRC has set out specific figures for tax relief on your travel costs to temporary workplaces. These are called the Approved Mileage Allowance Payment (AMAP) rates.
  • If you aren’t getting the full AMAP rates back from your employer, you can claim back the difference from HMRC instead.
  • If you’re claiming for up to £2,500 of expenses over a year, you can use a P87 form to make your claim. If you’re claiming more, you’ll need to file a Self Assessment tax return to get your refund. Either way, RIFT can handle the paperwork for you and make sure you never miss out on anything you’re owed.

The amount of refund cash going unclaimed each year is incredible – not far off £200 million! What’s more, there’s a hard deadline for getting your money back If you haven’t made your claim by April after 4 years, you’re out of luck forever.

Work Mileage Tax Rebate

What is mileage relief?

When you have to travel for work in your own vehicle, mileage tax relief is a way of bringing down your yearly tax bill. Depending on your employer, you might already be getting a mileage allowance to help with the costs. If you’re not, or if you’re getting less than the AMAP rates, you can claim some tax relief from HMRC in the form of a rebate.

The mileage rebate rules for company cars are a bit different, so you might need to take a look at those as well. Either way, if you’re shelling out for your essential work travel you should be claiming some tax relief from HMRC.

Claiming Mileage

How much can I claim for mileage relief?

The current rates set by HMRC for mileage relief are:

  • 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles of work travel in a year.
  • 25p per mile for any additional travel after that.

These rates are for cars and vans. If you travel by motorcycle, your mileage rate is a flat 24p per mile you travel. Bicycle users can claim 20p per mile. You can read more about Approved Mileage Allowance Payments here.

Remember to try our tax rebate calculator for a quick estimate of how much you could claim back from HMRC.

Mileage tax rebate

What records do I need to keep to claim a mileage tax rebate?

The paperwork needed for claiming your mileage tax rebate isn’t difficult to put together. It’s still the key to getting the most out of your claim, though.

The first and most important thing you’ll need is a full list of all your work travel. It’s worth being thorough about this, with dates, distances and destinations. Don’t stress out about it, though. We can always help fill in any gaps for you.

It’s worth remembering that you can still claim tax refunds for your travel if you used public transport during the year. Train fares, taxi rides and bus tickets can all count toward your tax rebate claim. Keeping receipts when you’re paying for these out of your own pocket is a great start. Again, though, we can help to get your records up to scratch if there are gaps to fill.

Specialist teams

Can you still claim mileage tax relief for complex journeys?

Multi-leg work journeys and even international travel can still earn you tax rebates from HMRC each year. This kind of travel can make it trickier to claim back everything you’re owed, and not every step you took along the way will necessarily count toward your rebate. Claiming too much tax relief is worse than not claiming it at all, since it can get you in hot water with the taxman fast.

Don’t worry, though. RIFT has teams that specialise in complex travel claims, protecting you and your money from HMRC. It only takes a few moments to check what you could claim, so use our tax refund calculator and get in touch to set things moving.

Start for free >

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your mileage tax rebate with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

RIFT Guarantee

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat