RIFT Tax Return Service - Your local tax return accountants

RIFT's self assessment tax return service is custom-built to take the stress, complexity and guesswork out of preparing and filing your tax returns. For a single fixed fee, we can handle every stage of the process, from getting you registered for the system to submitting your returns online. Because we can become your “official agent” with HMRC, you'll never have to deal with the taxman yourself. Our tax return specialists are world-class experts, so you'll never miss a deadline or any tax relief you're entitled to.

Self-Employed Tax Calculator

Tax Return Service

Why choose RIFT over an accountant?

The RIFT tax return service goes a lot further than other, less specialised accountants. All in one package, we can:

  • Handle all your employment income, pensions, benefits and expenses.
  • Deal with all your Self Assessment questions and problems.
  • Complete your tax return.
  • Calculate your tax position and keep you updated.
  • Send you a full copy of your return for your records.
  • File your tax return online with HMRC.
  • Deal with HMRC on your behalf.
  • Tackle all your tax queries, however big or small.

RIFT are the UK's leading tax experts, and the only tax company ever to earn the ServiceMark award from the institute of customer service.  We stand behind our work, and we stand by our customers.  We don't believe in the ''one-size-fits-all'' service of traditional accountants.  Everything we do is built around your specific situation and needs.  As they develop and change, so do we.

Self-Employed Tax Calculator

Tax Return Fees

How much do tax return services cost?

Our fixed-rate prices start at just £95+VAT, and our free Tax Return Calculator means you get no nasty surprises. Just answer a few questions and we'll give you a simple fixed-fee tax return quote. Click on the green button below to get started.

By contrast traditional accountants can vary quite a lot in how much they charge for tax returns. Many charge by the hour, while others pack their services with hidden extras to bulk up the cost.

A lot depends on your situation. For instance, here are a few typical fees we've seen advertised:

  • CIS subcontractors with simple accounts: £250
  • Sole trader with full accounts: £350
  • Partnership: £400+
  • Limited Company: £650+
  • Hourly rates: £120+ per hour.

The RIFT service is different. We've got no hourly rates to wrestle with and no hidden charges to spring on you to make it easier for you to know what you’ll be spending before you start.

Better yet, we go a lot further than a traditional accountant. We don't just fire off your tax return and forget about you. For no additional fee, we're there for you all year round to handle all your tax questions and solve all your tax problems. It's all part of the service.

Self-Employed Tax Calculator

What is self assessment?

What is a self assessment tax return?

Self assessment tax returns are used by HMRC to work out how much UK taxpayers owe. They're different from the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system, because the tax isn't taken from your pay before you get it. Instead, you file a tax return each year to declare your earnings, work expenses and other information. HMRC then uses your return to calculate the tax you have to pay.

Self Assessment can be a complicated system to get to grips with. There are a lot of ways to go wrong with it and end up paying too much tax. Worse still, you can get into a lot of trouble if you don't know the system well. There are strict deadlines, for example, with automatic penalties for missing them.

Self-Employed Tax Calculator

Do I need to file a tax return?

Who needs to file self assessment tax returns?

Self Assessment is used when your income isn't taxed via PAYE. A lot of the time, this means self-employed people. However, there are many more reasons why HMRC might ask you for a tax return, even if you're already paying some PAYE tax. For example:

  • If you're a company director or a partner in a business.
  • If you're getting income of £2,500 or more that isn't already being taxed – from rent, for example.
  • If you're on a high income and receive Child Benefit.
  • If you're claiming a tax refund and have expenses over £2,500 to declare.
  • If you've got share dividend income of over £10,000.
  • If you've got money coming in from abroad, or lived overseas with a UK income.
  • If you're working in construction under CIS and need to claim back some of the cash taken from your pay.

Often, people don't even realise they need to submit tax returns until HMRC starts demanding them. If you get a request for a Self Assessment return from the taxman, never ignore it. Even if you're sure it must be a mistake, you still need to act. A quick email or phone call to RIFT is all it takes to find out what the score is. What's more, our tax return service can even take care of the whole thing for you. We'll save you money and protect you from HMRC fines and penalties, all as part of the service. 

Self-Employed Tax Calculator

Tax Return Services

Why do I need to use a tax return service? Can't I do it all myself?

A lot of people, mainly those with very simple accounts to file, do decide to go it alone. The RIFT tax return service is for people who don't have time to become tax experts themselves. In the 2016/17 tax year, HMRC fined an incredible 840,000 people for missing the 31st of January online filing deadline. Many thousands more ended up paying the wrong amount of tax, simply because they didn't have the expertise needed to make the most of Self Assessment.

Keep in mind that, when it comes to tax, paying too little can be as bad as paying too much. In fact, if HMRC decides you're not being careful or thorough enough with your tax returns, things can get very grim indeed. Worse still is when the taxman decides you've gone beyond simple carelessness and into deliberate fraud. Having an expert, professional eye on your tax situation is the best possible way to keep you out of trouble.

Self-Employed Tax Calculator

File my tax return

What should I do next?

Below is our free online tax return calculator - your first step towards putting RIFT on your team.  Just answer a few questions and we'll let you know if you need to file a self assessment tax return.  We'll also give you a quote to take care of the whole thing for you.

If you have questions or want to hear more about how we can help, feel free to get in touch by phone or email.


Tax Return Mistakes

Help! I've made a mistake on my tax return

First off, don't panic. These things happen from time to time and HMRC understands that. However, as soon as you realise there's a problem you need to get cracking and fix it. A self assessment tax return can be amended for up to 12 months after the normal filing date (31st of January). If you let that self assessment deadline pass without correcting the mistake, things can get dicey for you fast.

The penalties you'll face depend on how bad the mistake was, and how honest they think you've been about it. In general, an honest mistake that you fix quickly won't be punished. However, if you delay or make HMRC think you're hiding something, you'll definitely wish you'd got it right the first time.

If you file your tax returns online, then the process for correcting them is pretty simple. You just log in, select the return you need to change and sort it out. If you file on paper you'll need to download another copy of the form and send in the corrected pages.

The main thing to remember is that you never have to go it alone. RIFT Refunds are the UK's top tax experts, and we're always ready to help. We've been sorting out people's tax worries and refunds since 1999 and we're the best in the business. Just phone 01233 628648 or contact us to see how our tax return service can help you.

Get a free tax return quote

Answer these simple questions to get started. Get a free quote and we can take care of everything for you.

Yes No Path

I am/was Self Employed and traded during the period. *

If you're self employed or a business partner we need to know if you've started trading yet. If you start working for yourself, you’re classed as a sole trader. This means you’re self-employed - even if you haven’t yet told HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). If you have charged a price for products or services, it counts as trading. If you have traded during the period, the requirements are different from if you have not traded. If you traded, but then stopped during the period and ceased to be self employed, you must inform HMRC. You will also be required to complete a self assessment tax return for the period in which you traded.

I still have undeclared income from the period *

You need to tell HMRC about all sources of income you have had during the tax year. If you have received any income that has not been declared to HMRC then you will need to report it via a self-assessment tax return.

I declared my income and paid tax monthly during the period under the CIS scheme *

If you are on the CIS scheme you still need to submit a self assessment tax return. It is important that you do this as most CIS workers find that they are due a tax refund of around £2000 per year. Not submitting your tax return will mean that you get a fine and most likely end up paying more tax than you should have.

I registered for Self Assessment as self employed, but did not trade in the period

If you are registered as self-employed you need to provide HMRC with a record of your income during the year, even if your total income was £0.

I worked for more than one employer during the tax year

HMRC needs to know all sources of income that you had during the year. If you are being taxed directly by more than one employer you may be paying too much tax. Check your tax code.

I already know I need to complete a tax return *

I received income from overseas that's taxable in the UK

If you've got money coming in from abroad you'll usually have to pay UK tax on it. Foreign income might include wages from working abroad, renting out property in another country or foreign investments or savings. There are different rules for different types of income and a lot depends on your status as a UK resident. There are special rules for foreign income from pensions, rent from property and certain types of employment.

I lived abroad during the last tax year

If you're living or working abroad you may still have to pay UK tax on some or all of your income. It all depends on where the money's coming from and what your residence status is. We can help you with the specific and dedicated rules about what counts as UK residency, but it basically boils down to: Did you spend 183 days or more in the UK during the year you're being taxed on? Did you own or rent your sole home for 90 days or more in the UK and spend at least 30 days there? If you answered "yes" to either of these questions there's a good chance you're a UK resident for tax purposes.

I received income from renting property during the period

If you made more than £2,500 in income from property or land then you’ll need to declare it to HMRC.

The maximum number of properties I rented out during the period was *

I lived in the same property at the time I was earning rental income from it

If you're a taxpayer, the government's 'Rent a Room' scheme allows resident landlords to earn £7,500 each year tax free from 6 April 2016. The threshold for the 2015 to 2016 tax year was £4,250. However, attached but self-contained dwellings count as rental income and don’t come under rent a room scheme. Depending on your other sources of income of employment status you may still have to complete a self-assessment tax return.

I believe I need to pay Capital Gains Tax

When you "dispose of" (in most cases this means "sell") certain things you own you have to pay Capital Gains Tax on any profit you make from the sale. Capital Gains Tax mostly covers things like property, jewellery, antiques, valuable artworks etc. You only need to pay Capital Gains Tax on profit above your tax free allowance, which is different for individuals and trusts. If you sell something that counts for Capital Gains Tax you must file self-assessment to declare any profit to HMRC.

I received income from other investments or dividends

There are different sets of rules that apply to the taxation and tax relief on savings and investments, depending on their type.

Did you receive taxable benefits from your employer(s) or expenses, excluding travel?

There are a wide range of benefits in kind received by employees, most of which are taxable, though there are some statutory exemptions. Most directors of companies are liable to pay Income Tax on the value of the benefit in kind and expense payments provided. Their employers (or in certain cases other third parties who provide benefits in kind) are liable to pay Class 1 or Class 1A National Insurance contributions (NIC). If unsure whether any benefits you have recieved are taxable, answer yes, and our agent will confirm details with you.

I am liable for the Child Benefit Charge

You or a partner may have to pay a tax charge, known as the ‘High Income Child Benefit Charge’, if you have an individual income over £50,000 and either: you or your partner get Child Benefit or someone else gets Child Benefit for a child living with you and they contribute at least an equal amount towards the child’s upkeep. It doesn’t matter if the child living with you is not your own child.

HMRC have asked me to submit a tax return

If HRMC have asked you submit a self-assessment tax return then you must not ignore it. Doing so will result in a fine, even if you have no tax to pay.

HMRC contacted me via *

I have ticked the reasons included in the HMRC letter on this form

If the reason for your tax return is not listed, please give details in the comments section on the next page

HMRC have sent me a P800

If HRMC have asked you submit a self-assessment tax return then you must not ignore it. Doing so will result in a fine, even if you have no tax to pay.

I need to complete a Tax Return for another reason, not listed on this form

If the reason for your tax return is not listed, please give details in the comments section on the next page

I am/was the appointed trustee of a trust or a registered pension scheme, responsible for its management.

If you were the trustee of a trust or a pension scheme then you must submit a self-assessment tax return, even if you are paying income tax through another employer.

I am/was the Director of a company or charity

Company Directors must submit self-assessment tax returns. Exceptions apply for Directors of charities who received no income or benefits. Please indicate if this applies in the next question.

I am/was Director of a Charity and received no income or benefits

My income was over £100k per year in one or more of the years indicated

If you receive over £100,000 in total income in any tax year then you will need to complete a self assessment tax return. It doesn’t matter if you get your income from different sources, if you have more than one job, etc. For this section we just need to know the total.

I have worked as a religious minister during the period

If you are a religious minister of any faith, religion or denomination, or an employee acting as a minister of religion, you will need to file a self-assessment tax return.

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat