Do I have to submit a self assessment tax return when I'm renting out my property?

If you're renting out a room or a property, you usually need to let HMRC know that you're getting rental income. That means registering for self assessment and filing a yearly self assessment tax return.

How much you'll pay will depend on what type of property you're renting and whether that's your main source of income or not.