Landlord Tax Returns

You may have to pay tax if you rent out property. If being a Landlord is your main job and you earn profits of over £5,965 a year, you definitely need to pay tax and National Insurance to HMRC via a tax return.

Tax Return Quote

Landlord Tax Returns

How do I pay tax on rental income?

The way you pay tax on your rental income depends on how much you've got coming in. If it's between £2,500 and £9,999 a year after expenses, you'll need to file a Self Assessment tax return. You'll also need to file a return if you're making over £10,000 before expenses.

Even if you're below those limits, the taxman will still want to know about your rental money. If you're below these limits, you probably won't need to register for Self Assessment, meaning you'll be taxed via PAYE instead. You'll need a P810 form from HMRC to declare the money you're making.

Tax Return Quote

Landlord Tax Returns

How much can I earn in rental income before having to pay tax to HMRC?

Generally, all your income is taxed at your normal rate, regardless of where it comes from. However, there are ways to bring down the amount of tax you owe. The government's Rent a Room scheme is a good example. Under this scheme, landlords letting out a furnished room in their own home can earn up to £7,500 per year tax -free. You don't need to do anything to claim this tax relief, other than opt into the scheme. However, you'll still need to file a Self Assessment return to pay tax on anything you make over the £7,500 threshold.

Tax Return Quote

Tax Returns For Landlords

What expenses can I claim as a landlord?

As a landlord, you've got certain "allowable expenses" that count against the rental income you're taxed on. The basic rule is that they have to be the "wholly and exclusively" necessary costs of letting out your property.

We're talking about things like:

  • Repair expenses.
  • Water charges.
  • Council tax payments.
  • Agent fees or commissions.
  • Wear and tear of any furnishings you provide.

Keep in mind that only the necessary costs can count as expenses. Non-essential improvements to the property, for example, won't count.

Tax Return Quote

Landlord Tax Returns

Can I get help with self assessment tax returns?

Absolutely! RIFT are the UK's leading tax experts, and our specialist Self Assessment tax return service is ideal for landlords. We can take care of the whole thing for you, tracking down your allowable expenses and filing your returns for you. We'll save you money and keep you on the right side of HMRC. Get in touch to see how we can help. 

Tax Return Quote

RIFT Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Learn More

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HRMC.

Start My Claim


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?