Am I due a tax refund?

A tax refund or tax rebate is the money that you get back from HRMC if you paid too much in tax. By law, if you're travelling to temporary workplaces and paying to make your own way there, you could get a tax refund. On average, a 4-year tax refund claimed through RIFT amounts to £2,500.

Start my claim Tax Calculator



Am I Due A Tax Rebate?​

Which industries can claim?​

It makes no difference what your job is; if your employer doesn’t pay your travel expenses in full, you could get a tax rebate.  

It doesn't even stop with travel. You might be owed expenses for things like washing your work uniform or buying your lunch that you could claim a tax refund for. RIFT Refunds can even get tax refunds if you've been made redundant or for jobs you've left, if they were in the last 4 years. We’re the experts in claiming tax refunds, so get in touch to see if you can get a tax rebate and save income.

Tax Refund Calculator


Armed Forces or MOD personnel can claim against travel expenses on to temporary postings of under 24 months, even outside the UK. Using either your own vehicle or public transport counts and it's totally free to see if you qualify. The average 4 year tax refund is £2,500.



PAYE Construction workers making their own way to temporary workplaces (under 24 months) can claim a tax refund against travel and other expenses like meals, lodgings and protective clothing. The average RIFT Refunds 4-year rebate is £2,500.



Construction workers using the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) can claim tax refunds for travel expenses to temporary workplaces. Overpaid tax can be claimed back for the last four years and the RIFT average annual rebate is £2,000.



When you fly out to your platform, do you drive or get public transport to the airport or heliport? If so, there's a good chance you're due a tax rebate on your taxes to cover the costs. It's free to find out if you qualify and the average 4 year tax refund claim with RIFT is £2,500.



Workers in the security industry who travel to different workplaces could well be owed a tax refund. If your employer doesn't pay you the full allowance for travel expenses that you're entitled to, then you could be due a tax rebate. The average 4 year tax refund claim is £2,500 with RIFT.



If you are a healthcare worker for the NHS or a private healthcare company, you can claim a tax refund for certain travel costs. The average 4 year healthcare worker tax refund claim is worth around £2,500. You could even claim for other expenses like washing your uniform.



Professionals in sport can claim a "sports player tax refund" on their expenses. Often, that means travel costs, but other expenses such as kit, medical treatment and accommodation are allowed. It is totally free to find out if you qualify for a claim and the average 4 year tax refund claim with RIFT is £2,500.



Anyone who travels to temporary places of work, pays some or all of the travel costs themselves, and is employed PAYE can qualify for a tax refund. Some of the people we help most often include people who work in catering, childcare, teaching, retail and sales, warehouse operatives, teachers, cleaners and drivers.



With RIFT's Self Assessment tax return service, we do all the paperwork for your annual returns. Whether you're self employed or need to do a tax return for any other reason there are no deadline worries, no costly mistakes or misunderstandings and no missed opportunities.


Refer A Friend​

Extra cash for you and your mates in time for Christmas​

Help your mates get a tax refund in time for Christmas - and get an extra £50 in your own pocket! At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us.

We love it so much that we reward you for doing it! Until the 9th of October we'll give you £50 for everyone you recommend (T&Cs apply) who claims with us, but we'll give you a bonus of an extra £150 if 5 people do.

That's £400 in your pocket as well as the warm glow you get from helping out your mates. Help your workmates out now and you'll both get some extra cash in time for Christmas.

Refer Your Friends Now

Refer a friend​

Get started​

Simply enter your friend’s name and email address on our referral form, and we’ll send them a one off email to let them know you think RIFT tax refunds could help them.

  • If they get in touch and claim a refund, we’ll send you a £50 reward for your help.
  • And for every 5 you send that claim, you get an extra £150 bonus. 

Ask us any questions on Facebook, Livechat or call us on 01233 628648.

Tax Refund Advice​

How many years can I claim for?​

Currently you can claim tax back for the following tax years:

  • April 2012/13
  • April 2013/14
  • April 2014/15
  • April 2015/16

You can find out more about whether you are due a tax rebate by taking our simple test or read more information below. You can get an idea of what you might be able to claim back from our tax refund calculator.

Tax Refund Prices​

How much does a tax refund cost?​

  • Tax Refund if you're employed under PAYE: 28% of Refund claimed + VAT
  • Tax Refund with Tax Return for Self Employed (including CIS): £245 + VAT

Often people wonder 'Are tax refunds legal?' and the answer is 100% yes! We take the hassle out of tax, making sure that you get back all the money you’re owed. Have a look at our full list of services and prices. It costs nothing to find out if you have a claim.

Start My Claim

How does it work?

Tax refund calculator

Use our tax refund calculator to find out what you're owed.

Are you due a tax refund?

Are you due a tax refund?

Online tax refunds

Get refunds for your mates and earn extra cash.

RIFT Tax Refunds

Find out more about RIFT.

Tax Refunds Advice​

How do I get a tax refund?​

If you're trying to get a tax refund from HMRC, then you'll need to prove you've overpaid. If you're trying to get tax back for travel expenses to temporary workplaces, a list of everywhere you've worked is a good start. Beyond that, any evidence you can stock up will help prove and speed up your tax refund claim and get you your money back.

Remember that lost documents can often be replaced. Banks should be able to give you copies of statements, and even things like invoices can be reproduced, all helping you get a tax refund from HMRC as quickly as possible. If you can save your documents along the way then even better.

Start My Claim

Tax Refunds Advice​

Why can't I get a tax refund?​

  • If your employer pays your travel expenses in full, or you only work in one location for an employer, you won't have overpaid the tax.
  • If you're self employed, the rules are different, and there are other expenses we may be able to claim for you. You can find out more about self employed tax returns and tax returns explained on our pages here.

Tell us a bit about your situation and we can quickly let you know if you should claim a tax rebate. Even if you get a mileage allowance, if it’s not at HMRC's standard rate you can claim the difference in tax back!

Tax Calculator

Our Guarantee​

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny​

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Learn more

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HRMC.

Start My Claim


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?