Tax refunds advice

If you’ve got a question about your tax refund, you’ll find the answer here. From what receipts you need, through to whether your claim will affect your tax code, we've got it all covered.

Do I Qualify? Tax Calculator

Do you qualify for a tax refund from HMRC?

£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

Tax Advice

Am I due a tax refund?

Just answer a few simple questions and we can tell you whether the expenses you've incurred in the course of your work could mean you are due a tax refund. Whether you're self employed and complete your own self assessment tax returns, pay taxes via flat rate expenses or employed full time or part time by someone else and pay your tax at source through PAYE there could be money that belongs to you sitting at HMRC.

If you've paid for travel costs out of your own pocket and not been fully reimbursed or given the full mileage allowance, or if you've incurred certain other types of expenses, then you could have overpaid tax and be due a refund. Many of our self assessment clients also find that they are due a refund thanks to our specialist knowledge. You can use our quick tax refund calculator to find out what you could be owed.

HMRC Enquiries

I've got a letter from HMRC. Help!

Never ignore an HMRC letter, even if you don't understand why you're getting it. If the taxman wants you to fill out a Self Assessment return, for example, never assume he'll forget about it if you just keep quiet. Whatever HMRC wants, we can take care of it for you. Just get in touch and we'll handle it from there. In fact, if you've got tax questions or problems of any kind, call RIFT on 01223 628648. We're here to help.

Change in circumstances

My circumstances have changed. What should I do?

Always let us know of any changes in your tax situation. We can help whether you're working PAYE, self-employed, on CIS or even setting up your own limited company. Get in touch, tell us your plans and we'll get to work.

How does it work?

Tax Refund Calculator

Use our tax refund calculator to find out what you're owed.

Are you due a tax refund?

Find out if you're due a refund.

Online tax refunds

Get started with your tax refund claim now.

RIFT Tax Refunds

Find out more about RIFT.

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny​

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Learn More


Our most popular tax refund questions

On average, our clients get £600-£800 per year, and we can reclaim your expenses for the last four complete tax years. So your first claim could be worth around £2,500.

Read more about how to claim a Tax Refund

There are lots of ways to start your claim:

  • Chat to one of our team online using Livechat. You can open Livechat by clicking the red button at the bottom of the screen.
  • Click on the green bar at the bottom of the screen to see if you are due a rebate.
  • Call us on 01233 628648
  • Send us a private message through Facebook

If it's hard for you to call us, don't worry, let us know what time is best for you and we can call you back. Any calls from us will come from 01233 628648 so you'll know it's us.

Once we have received all of your information and documents, our team of experts will put your claim together before sending it to HMRC to be processed. The sooner we receive your information and signed forms, the sooner you will receive your tax refund. Typically HMRC then take 6-8 weeks to process and pay out your refund.

Read more about how long a tax refund takes.
See our checklist of information that we'll need to make your claim.

Once we've got all your information, it usually takes about four weeks to put your claim together. We send your claim to HMRC who will reveiw your claim and then send the refund to us..

The sooner we receive your information and signed forms, the sooner you will receive your tax refund. Typically HMRC then take 8-10 weeks to process and pay out your refund to us.

As soon as we have it we send you a cheque or pay it into your bank account as you prefer.

The single biggest cause of delays in getting refunds back quickly is not getting the Authorising your agent (64-8) form back to us. If you need a new one you can download it and print it out to send back to us by Freepost. Without 2 hard copies with your signature on HMRC will not talk to us about your claim. It seems annoying, but it's a legal requirement to protect you from fraud.

Have a look at our timescales page for more information about how long it takes to get your tax refund done and some pointers for how to make things happen as fast as possible.

If you want to get your money back more quickly you can upgrade to our Rapid Refunds we fast-track your claim and pay you within 24 hours of completing it. We then wait for HMRC to pay us. Terms and conditions apply.

Remember that you can claim for the last 4 tax years and you can make your claim at any time.



When we receive your refund from HMRC we take out our fee and then pay it the refund to you. There are no up front charges to pay for anything. If you are not due a refund then there is no charge.

Before we send your claim to HMRC we sent a copy to you with a full breakdown of all the fees so you can clearly see:

  • The total refund
  • Our price that will be taken out of it
  • The VAT due (VAT goes to the government, as on all goods and services)
  • The amount you will receive

You will need to sign and send this back to us to say you have read, understood and agreed with it, along with a declaration that all the information you have provided about your claim is true. This means you will never be charged any fees you have not agreed to.

There are no further fees to pay, and no hidden charges.

Read more about our fees.

All aftercare is included (if you need us to call HMRC on your behalf, if you have a problem you would like us to resolve with them, if your tax code needs correcting etc).

Your refund is covered by the unique RIFT Guarantee which means that whatever happens, your refund stays in your own pocket and will never go back to HMRC. If we fight any HRMC enquries for you (still included in the cost) and if anything did go wrong (which it never has in 15 years) we would pay back the refund to HMRC ourselves.

We will also send you a reminder when it's time to see if you have a claim next year.

A tax refund or tax rebate is "a refund on taxes when the tax liability is less than the taxes paid". In standard English this means if you've paid too much tax to HMRC you can claim it back.

By law, if you're travelling to temporary workplaces and paying to make your own way there, you could get a tax refund. On average, a 4-year tax refund claimed through RIFT amounts to £2,500.

Just answer a few simple questions and we can tell you whether the expenses you've had to pay out in the course of your work meant that you may have paid more tax than you should.

Often tax overpayment is from "hidden" things like not being reimbursed for the costs of travel or other work-related expenses by your employer. Without making a claim HMRC will not know to send it to you. It's a clunky system, we know, but that's why we're here to help.

You can also use our Tax calculator to see how much you are due if you do make a claim.


Claiming a tax refund should not change your tax code. If your tax code changes, just let us know and we’ll make sure it’s right - it’s all part of our aftercare service and included in the price.

Your tax code represents the amount of money you can earn tax free so it’s important that it’s correct. Who wants to pay too much tax? Or worse still, get a bill from the tax man because you haven’t paid enough?

Your tax code is used by your employer or pension provider to work out how much Income Tax to take from your pay or pension. The code is worked out by HMRC, who sends it to your employer or pension provider.

A higher tax code means you can earn more money before you start paying tax, so you’ll pay less tax over the year. However, tax refunds are hardly ever the same two years running, so if your claim is smaller, you won’t have paid enough tax and you’ll owe money to HMRC.

Your payslip should have your tax code on it. HMRC may tell your employer to use a higher tax code after you’ve claimed your tax refund because they assume you will be eligible for this tax relief next year – but you may not be. It all depends on how much travel you do.

Many people are worried about tax codes because they sound much more difficult than they actually are but once you know what all the letters and numbers mean it's as easy as reading any other code.

Find out more about your tax code and how to check if it's right.

If you claim too much tax back and HMRC pays out, they can later decide to demand the money back as it rightly should have been paid to them. If you’ve already spent your tax refund (and why wouldn’t you?) that means paying it back from your own pocket - UNLESS YOU ARE A RIFT CUSTOMER.

Our expertise means that we will never submit an incorrect claim, but HMRC do conduct random checks, there may be something unusual in your claim that they want more information on due to your personal circumstances (maybe you had a lot more expenses than usual this year because you got more work or had to replace more equipment) and sometimes do even make mistakes.

We’re proud to work to the highest standards. We make sure that we assess, calculate and validate each and every claim thoroughly against the latest legislation. RIFT claims for everything you’re due so you get the maximum refund. And we never claim for anything that you’re not entitled to or that we can't prove to HMRC.

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don’t have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

If there is any sort of investigation we will handle the whole thing for you. It's all part of our aftercare service and there are no extra charges. It's not just about the money, either. Even if you know you're in the right the whole process can be incredibly stressful if you have to deal with it on top of your normal job but that's why we're here to help you.

We're the only Tax Refunds company that has been awarded the Institute of Customer Service Accreditation.

Have a look at our blog about what to do if you get an HMRC enquiry letter or what to do if you find you haven't paid enough tax.

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Start My Claim


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?