Tax refunds for PAYE construction workers

Construction workers paying to get to temporary workplaces (under 24 months) can claim travel tax refunds & expenses. The average 4-year tax rebate is £2,500.

PAYE Tax Calculator

Do you qualify for a tax refund?

£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

Construction PAYE

Can PAYE construction workers claim?

As a UK employee, it is likely that you will have paid tax through the PAYE (Pay As You Earn) system. One in three people in the UK has overpaid tax across all industry sectors so there's a good chance you may be due to claim a UK construction tax rebate. If you're paying for things like meals, lodgings and protective clothing, you might be owed money for those too. We can also help you if you’re self-employed. Our friendly, expert team can quickly tell you if you’re due a tax rebate.


You can find out an estimate of what you could be due by using our simple tax refund calculator. If you are, we'll chase the taxman for you until it's paid. We'll keep you posted every step of the way. All you need to do is work out how you'll spend the money.

Construction Tax Refunds

PAYE construction tax refunds made easy

1 in 3 construction workers pay too much tax and £80 million a year goes unclaimed from HMRC. That's money that you've worked hard for that should be in your pocket. We've been helping construction workers claim back cash since 1999 and have reclaimed over £96 million so far.

Start My PAYE Claim Paye tax calculator

Construction Tax Refunds

Who can get a construction tax rebate?

All construction workers can apply. We can also help you if you’re self-employed and need to fill out a self assessment tax return. There's nothing to lose by checking if you qualify for a PAYE tax rebate. We don't even charge a penny until your money's back where it belongs. You can find out what information you need for your PAYE tax refund claim here or give us a call.

There are three simple ways to get your PAYE tax rebate claim off to a flying start:

  • Fill in our simple Tax Refund Pack, stick in it the freepost envelope and send it back to our team.
  • Use our free Forms by Phone service and we’ll sort out the details for you there and then.
  • Take advantage of our Forms On-site service. One of our experts will meet you on-site to handle the paperwork when it works best for you.



Customer stories

I got over £6000 back and treated the kids​

"I saw the RIFT advert in the Sun and though it was worth a shot to see if I was owed any money. I’ve been with Galamast for 8 years now, use my own car to get around and am always travelling long distances to different sites. I was chuffed when RIFT phoned and told me I got over £6,000 back – it was the easiest money I’ve got back in my life! I’ll definitely be in touch with them again this year to see if I can get any more. I’ve treated the kids to a few nice days out since I got the money so they’re happy too!”

Adrian Chinnock, 57, Somerset

See How Much You're Due

Construction Tax Refunds

Applying For A Tax Rebate

When you apply for a tax rebate, you're telling HMRC that you've given them too much of your own money. They won't just hand it over, though. They'll expect you to prove they owe you, so you'll need to show them some paperwork. Applying for a tax refund can be complicated. Most people don't know how or when to apply, or even that they're allowed to.

There are deadlines for when to apply for your tax rebate, and rules about what you can claim for. RIFT refunds will explain it all, and show you how to get back the money you're owed.

Start My PAYE Claim

Construction Tax Rebates

I don't have all my PAYE paperwork. Can I claim a tax rebate?

In order to claim a tax refund, HMRC's going to need to see some proof of what you've earned and spent. Usually, this will include things like your P45s, wage slips and MOT certificates. Don't stress out too much if you can't lay your hands on some of them. There's a good chance we can sort out your claim without absolutely everything. Find out more about what information you need here, or give RIFT a call.

Start My PAYE Claim

Construction Tax Rebates

I've got another job or source of income. Does this mean I can't claim a tax rebate?

Not necessarily. Having a second job can still make a big difference to your tax, though. You'll probably end up with two separate tax codes, only one of which will have a tax-free Personal Allowance attached to it. Things can get complicated when you've got more than one job, so talk to RIFT to make sure you're on track.

Construction Tax Rebates

I get some benefits in kind. Does that affect my PAYE tax refund?

If you're getting any benefits outside of your basic salary, then they're probably taxable. We're talking about things like company cars, medical insurance or free loans. All these things will count toward the amount of tax you owe. Not every perk of your job may count for tax, though, so always talk to RIFT if you're not sure. Your employer's contributions to your pension, for example, are tax-free. So are things like free or subsidised canteen meals.

Start My PAYE Claim

Construction Tax Rebates

I didn't work for part of the tax year. Am I owed a PAYE tax refund?

If you weren't earning for part of the year, then you may well be owed some PAYE tax back. How much you can claim depends on your circumstances. For instance, if you were unemployed and claiming JSA for part of the year, then your benefits are still taxable. This will bring down the size of refund you can claim back, but it's still worth doing it if you've overpaid. Use our handy tax calculator to give you an idea on what you could be owed.

Start My PAYE Claim

Tax Advice

HMRC sent me a p800 tax calculation. What does this mean?

When you get a P800 from the taxman, it means he thinks you've paid the wrong amount of tax. It's not necessarily bad news. In fact, if HMRC thinks they've overcharged you, they may just refund you without any hassle. Of course, if they think you haven't paid enough, they'll find a way of clawing it back. Generally, they'll adjust your PAYE tax code to take the money you owe automatically.

If you don't understand why you've got a P800 tax calculation, you should definitely get some good, professional advice. Phone or email RIFT and we'll find out what's happened. If it turns out to be the taxman's error, we'll set it straight for you.

Start My PAYE Claim PAYE Tax Calculator

Uniform tax refunds

I wear a uniform or specific work clothing for my construction job. Can I claim a tax refund?

When you have to wear work-specific clothing to do your job, there are certain expenses you can claim tax relief on. What you can claim for depends on the work you do and your personal circumstances.

If you're employed in construction and taxed via PAYE, you can claim refunds based on the money you spend on:

  • Cleaning, repairing or replacing your work clothes.
  • Cleaning, repairing or replacing any safety gear you have to use.

Keep in mind that the clothing and safety gear only counts if it's needed specifically and exclusively for your work. Repairing a high-visibility jacket with a company logo on it would generally get you an expenses claim. Cleaning the everyday jeans you wore to the site that day wouldn't. The other thing to remember is that you can't claim for the initial cost of buying the clothes or gear. Only keeping them clean and in good working order or replacing them counts toward your refund.

If you're self-employed, things are different. Any essential costs you're shelling out specifically for your business can count toward your allowable expenses. That includes the initial costs of those purchases, along with any cleaning, repairs or replacements required.

Whether you're self-employed or working PAYE, you have a couple of options for claiming uniform expenses. Employed people can use a "flat rate deduction" to claim a set amount instead of keeping track of their spending. The self-employed can use the "simplified expenses" system, using HMRC's pre-set figures. If you choose a fixed rate method, your paperwork is simpler. However, you might not get as much tax relief as you could by keeping receipts. Get in touch with RIFT if you're not sure which system would be better for you.

Start my PAYE claim Tax Calculator

Refer a Friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get a tax refund to kick off the new year - and get an extra £50 in your own pocket! At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us.

We love it so much that we reward you for doing it! To say thank you we'll give you £50 for everyone you recommend (T&Cs apply) who claims with us, but we'll give you a bonus of an extra £150 if 5 people do.

That's £400 in your pocket as well as the warm glow you get from helping out your mates. Help your workmates out now and you'll both get some extra cash to kick off 2017.

Refer Your Friends Now

Refer a Friend

Get started

Simply enter your friend’s name and email address on our referral form, and we’ll send them a one off email to let them know you think RIFT tax refunds could help them.

  • If they get in touch and claim a refund, we’ll send you a £50 reward for your help.
  • And for every 5 you send that claim, you get an extra £150 bonus. 

Ask us any questions on Facebook, Livechat or call us on 01233 628648.

How does it work?

Tax refund calculator image

Use our tax refund calculator to find out what you're owed.

Find out if you're due a refund.

Get refunds for your mates and earn extra cash

Find out more about RIFT.

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny​​

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Learn More

Need more help?


Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HRMC.

Start My Claim


Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park,Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

Call us on 01233 628648


Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat

Do you qualify?