Tax Rebates For Teachers

If you're employed as a teacher, there are expenses that you can claim a teachers tax rebate for. You'll need to keep some records of what you're spending to make a claim with HMRC. You can claim a teachers tax rebate for the last 4-years, and with an average tax refund coming to £2,500, far too many teachers are missing out.

Teacher Tax Refund

What expenses can teachers claim for?

In general, allowable expenses are the unavoidable costs you have to pay for your work. For teachers, they'll tend to be things like:

  • Professional subscription fees, for things like a teachers' union.
  • Specialist clothing you buy yourself, like protective gear for science teachers.
  • Books, as long as they're necessary for your teaching work.
  • Travel costs, other than your normal commute to and from home. This generally applies to temporary workplaces of under 24 months.
Start For Free

Teacher tax refund

I'm a self-employed teacher or tutor. Can I still claim a teacher tax rebate?

Self-employed people pay their taxes through the self assessment system, so all their expenses are handled there. That said, many teachers aren't even aware that they can claim for allowable expenses, meaning they're paying too much tax. Always talk to RIFT if you're not sure what expenses you can claim for. Our Self Assessment Tax Return service can do all the paperwork for you, saving you money and keeping you in HMRC's good books.

Teacher Tax Refund

I am employed full time as a teacher but have additional income. Do I have to declare it?

If you get additional income you need to declare it using self-assessment. Examples could be:

  • Payments for selling lesson plans through online markets such as the TES.
  • Income from books you have written (whether self published or paid in royalties via a publisher).
  • Software you have written and sold.
  • Income from property rental or savings and investments.
  • Income from any other sources such as your own online shop such as Etsy.

Get in touch if you need to check whether you should submit a self assessment tax return.

Tax Return Quote

Professional body fees

What professional fees count for tax relief claims?

HMRC's rules for claiming tax refunds on professional body fees aren't well known. Essentially, you can claim tax relief as long as membership is either helpful or necessary to do your work. This includes union fees for the National Union of Teachers (NUT) or the National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT).

If you've paid things like regulator fees to a General Teaching Council, those costs can also count toward your tax refund claim. Even payments to the Institute for Learning (IfL), which closed its doors in 2014 can still be claimed for as you can claim for the last 4 tax years.

Start for free

Sports Equipment

I have to buy sportswear and equipment. Can I get a tax refund on my spending?

If you're a sport or PE teacher, then some of your costs can qualify for a tax refund claim. In general, you can claim for the cleaning, repair or replacement of any kit or equipment that's necessary for your job. The same basic rules apply as for sport professionals, meaning eligible costs would include things like:

  • Trainers, football boots or other specialised footwear.
  • Tracksuits and other sportswear.
  • Specialised sporting equipment, such as tennis rackets.

You can't claim tax relief for initially buying your clothing or equipment. Only repair, cleaning and replacement costs are covered by the rules. Also, general-purpose items like t-shirts and towels probably won't get you a refund, even if you use them for work. Only things used specifically and exclusively for your job will count.

Start for free

Our Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your tax rebate with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

RIFT Guarantee

Refer a friend

Extra cash for you and your mates

Help your mates get a tax refund - and get an extra £50 in your own pocket! At RIFT, we love it when happy clients tell their friends about us.

We love it so much that we reward you for doing it! We'll give you £50 for everyone you recommend (T&Cs apply) who claims with us, but we'll give you a bonus of an extra £150 if 5 people do.

That's £400 in your pocket as well as the warm glow you get from helping out your mates. Help your workmates out now and you'll both get some extra cash.

Refer your friends

Refer a friend

Get started

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:30
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team?
Why not use our live chat to speak to an
online advisor now?

Open live chat