Armed Forces Personnel Tax Refunds
Armed Forces or MOD personnel can claim a tax refund on travel between bases. The average 4 year claim is £2,500.
The next tax year starts in April 2018 - so now is your last chance to claim for the 13/14 tax year!Do I Qualify?
How long does it take?
- It takes about 8-10 weeks for HMRC to process your tax refund.
- RIFT has 7 teams working hard to maximise your refund & get it to you fast.
- So the sooner you start your claim & provide the information we need, the sooner you get your cash back.
MOD supports tax refunds
Armed Forces personnel really can get UK tax refunds and are fully supported by the Ministry of Defence. RIFT Refunds always knew this was true and we fought hard to get the proof. You can read the MOD letter to us and feel assured that this is something that can be legitimately claimed for. You can find out more about the MOD tax refund claim rules here and throughout the MOD section of our site.Do I Qualify?
Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny
When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.
Armed Forces Tax Refunds
What information do I need for a MOD tax refund?
We need the following information to assess your MOD tax refund and then process your claim:
- List of bases you’ve attended - Copies of assignment orders are helpful here and are available from JPA, but be aware they are deleted after 60 days. You should also include any time spent on courses as this can be claimed for as well
- Monthly payslips – If you haven’t got all of your payslips, you can download them from the JPAC website
- Other supporting documents – If you can, MOT certificates, P60s and P45s can also help your claim. Don’t worry if you can’t provide these though, we can still reclaim your tax without them
- Other information – We’ll ask you a few simple yes/no questions about your financial circumstances e.g. if you have any other sources of income such as rental income, whether you have a student loan or a private pension. The Ministry of Defence accommodation rules may also have an impact so we will need to understand your living arrangements. This helps us calculate the value of tax you’ve overpaid.
ABF The Soldiers' Charity and RIFT
The Soldiers’ Charity helps soldiers and their families to continue their lives and live them to the full. RIFT Tax Refunds are proud to be able to support this great cause that’s helped so many people over the years.
As corporate sponsors of The Soldiers’ Charity, we make a £10 donation for every successful Armed Forces tax refund claim we make. Last year we donated £31,780 and to date we've donated over £143,400.
ICS Service Mark
Award winning customer service
We're known for our friendly, helpful and jargon-free approach to tax matters and that's led to us being first company in the tax sector to be awarded ServiceMark by the Institute of Customer Service.
ServiceMark is a national, independently assessed standard recognising an organisation's achievement in customer service and its commitment to upholding those standards. We are extremely proud to offer this level of service to you.
"I claimed over £2,724 after my colleague told me about RIFT"
"I joined the Army when I was 16 and heard about RIFT through a colleague at my barracks. I’ve travelled to quite a few different bases, including outside the UK, using my car and flights too. I called RIFT and they said I could claim for the past four years and get my money even quicker with their RIFT Rapid Refund service. They were easy to get in touch with over email and phone, and they let me know quickly how much I was owed. Before I knew it the cash was in my account! It was great to get back over £2,724 so quickly and now I’ve started telling my mates I’m getting money from referrals too."
Lee Smith, 22 Ex-Lance CorporalDo I Qualify?
Repeat MOD tax refund claims
Have you claimed before and want to claim again?
If you're already a RIFT client and want to claim for a new tax year then either follow the link in your reminder email to create a MyRIFT account, or give us a call on 01233 628648. Currently you can claim tax back for the tax years of 2013/14 through to 2016/17. You can find out more about whether you are due an MOD tax rebate by filling out the form at the top of the page or you can get an idea of what you might be able to claim back from our tax refund calculator.