Armed Forces Tax Refunds

  • Read about how RIFT can help you in Army & You?
  • Just answer these 4 quick questions about work and travel for you, or the soldier you're checking for, and we can tell you if you're owed a refund.
Do I qualify?


£2,500 - That's the average 4 year claim. Don't miss out!

MOD supports tax refunds

Armed Forces personnel really can get UK tax refunds and are fully supported by the MOD. RIFT Refunds always knew this was true and we fought hard to get the proof. You can read the MOD letter to us and feel assured that this is something that can be legitimately claimed for.


Customer Stories

"I claimed over £2,724 after my colleague told me about RIFT"

"I joined the Army when I was 16 and heard about RIFT through a colleague at my barracks. I’ve travelled to quite a few different bases, including outside the UK, using my car and flights too. I called RIFT and they said I could claim for the past four years and get my money even quicker with their RIFT Rapid Refund service. They were easy to get in touch with over email and phone, and they let me know quickly how much I was owed. Before I knew it the cash was in my account! It was great to get back over £2,724 so quickly and now I’ve started telling my mates I’m getting money from referrals too."

Lee Smith, 22 Ex-Lance Corporal

Do I qualify?

RIFT Guarantee

Our guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim your tax refund with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money. So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we’ve claimed and ask for the money back, we’ll pay it. It won’t cost you a penny.

Armed Forces Tax Refunds

What information do I need for a tax refund?

If you've got a refund due from HRMC we'll need you to send us some information so we can make your claim:

  • List of bases you’ve attended - Copies of assignment orders are helpful here and are available from JPA, but be aware they are deleted after 60 days. You should also include any time spent on courses as this can be claimed for as well
  • Monthly payslips – If you haven’t got all of your payslips, you can download them from the JPAC website
  • Other supporting documents – If you can, MOT certificates, P60s and P45s can also help your claim. Don’t worry if you can’t provide these though, we can still reclaim your tax without them
  • Other information – We’ll ask you a few simple yes/no questions about your financial circumstances e.g. if you have any other sources of income such as rental income, whether you have a student loan or a private pension. The MOD accommodation rules may also have an impact so we will need to understand your living arrangements. This helps us calculate the value of tax you’ve overpaid.

We'll also send you a form to sign called a 64-8 that gives HMRC permission to speak to us on your behalf.

If you're looking into getting a refund on behalf of a partner, friend or family member then they will need to sign the form themselves. However, they can nominate you to be our point of contact to deal with any other questions or paperwork on their behalf. Lots of our Armed Forces nominate a partner or family member to do this if they are posted away, for example, so that there isn't any delay in getting their refund.

Soldiers Charity

ABF The Soldiers' Charity and RIFT

The Soldiers’ Charity helps soldiers and their families to continue their lives and live them to the full. RIFT Tax Refunds are proud to be able to support this great cause that’s helped so many people over the years.

As corporate sponsors of The Soldiers’ Charity, we make a £10 donation for every successful Armed Forces tax refund claim we make. Last year we donated £31,780 and to date we've donated over £143,400.

ICS Service Mark

Award winning customer service

We're known for our friendly, helpful and jargon-free approach to tax matters and that's led to us being first company in the tax sector to be awarded ServiceMark by the Institute of Customer Service.

ServiceMark is a national, independently assessed standard recognising an organisation's achievement in customer service and its commitment to upholding those standards. We are extremely proud to offer this level of service to you.

Repeat claims

Have you claimed before and want to claim again?

If you're already a RIFT client and want to claim for a new tax year then either follow the link in your reminder email to create a MyRIFT account, or give us a call on 01233 628648. Currently you can claim tax back for the tax years of 2013/14 through to 2016/17. You can find out more about whether you are due a tax rebate by filling out the form at the top of the page or you can get an idea of what you might be able to claim back from our tax refund calculator.