Tax refunds for PAYE construction workers

Claim now

Tax refunds for PAYE construction workers

Do you work for a construction company?

If you’re employed in construction (PAYE), and drive your own vehicle to different sites, there's a good chance HMRC owes you a tax refund of up to £2,500. And, if you have to pay for them yourself, you can also claim for public transport, meals, lodging, laundry, tools and protective clothing.

What would you do with £2,500?

The average refund is £600-£800 per year, and because we can go back four years, your first claim could be more than £2,500. Since 1999, we’ve secured over £73 million in tax refunds for construction workers just like you.

Hassle-free tax refund

We know working on a building site keeps you busy, so we make it easy to sort out your PAYE tax refund. Making a claim is easy, click here to release your money from the taxman. We’ll send you a Tax Refund Pack for you to jot down a few details and sign then send back in the freepost envelope.  Or you can use our free Forms by Phone or Forms On-site services and we’ll fill in the details for you, either over the phone or one of our reps will meet you on-site to fill in the form during your tea or lunch break. 

Who can get a tax rebate?

All construction workers can apply.  We can also help you if you’re self-employed. Our friendly, expert team can quickly assess if you’ve a claim. If you do, we keep you up to date and chase your money with HMRC. There’s nothing left for you to do but sit back and wait for your cheque to arrive.

You’ve nothing to lose. We don't charge a fee until you get your money back, so there are no upfront charges. 

Why choose RIFT?

RIFT are the UK’s leading tax refund experts, so who better to handle your tax refund? 

  • We won’t charge you a fee unless we get you a tax refund.
  • Our professional and expert team will deal with your claim thoroughly and accurately, and we’ll keep you informed every step of the way.
  • We’re so confident of our accuracy that we offer a unique RIFT Guarantee. You can be sure that your PAYE construction tax rebate will be totally safe. If any money claimed has to be repaid to HMRC, we will make the repayment, without it costing you a penny.

HMRC has complicated rules around tax but we’re experts in how to apply them successfully. We’ll never claim anything you’re not entitled to, so you don’t have to worry about the taxman wanting any of your refund back. To show you how PAYE construction tax rebates work, here’s an example for you of one of our clients, David.  

David has been claiming his travelling expenses with RIFT since 2005, and has so far reclaimed £6,820 – over £850 per year. David’s a fork lift truck driver who’s worked at sites across the north east of England. As he’s never been on one site for more than two years, all his sites qualify as “temporary workplaces” under the HMRC rules.

He’s used his own car to get to work each day and his employer has paid part of his travel expenses for him, tax free, in line with the CIJC Working Rule Agreement. But because his expenses don’t cover the full cost of the travel allowed by HMRC, RIFT were able to claim the difference.

David left his employer in November 2012 and went self-employed under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). RIFT helped him make the switch, claimed his remaining PAYE tax refund expenses and completed his first tax return in 2013, getting him a tax refund of £2,011 in the process.

Frequently asked questions

Can I claim?

If you’re employed (PAYE) and use your own vehicle or public transport to travel to different sites, you’re probably due a tax refund. You might think you already get everything you’re entitled to from your employer but you could still be missing out. You can also claim back other expenses such as buying lunch or the cost of washing your work clothes. We’ll assess all your expenses and include them if they qualify.

We offer a free initial assessment and only charge a fee when you get your money, so there are no upfront costs. You’ve nothing to lose – no refund, no charge.

How does it work?

When you pay for your own travel to different work sites we can claim back the tax you paid when you earned that money. Just tell us where you’ve worked, and when, and we’ll work out the cost of your travel. We’ll add any other job-related expenses you may have and fill in the tax forms for you, all you need to do is sign them. We’ll send the forms to HMRC, handle any questions on your behalf and chase them if they don’t pay out in the agreed timescale – it’s all part of our service. Your tax refund is sent to us and we send it straight to you, less our fee.

How quickly can I get my money?

How quickly do you want it? Once we've got all your information, it usually takes about four weeks to put your claim together. We send your claim to HMRC who will take another six to eight weeks on average to pay out.

Or you can upgrade to our RIFT Rapid Refund service, where we fast-track your claim and pay you within 24 hours of completing it. We then wait for HMRC to pay us. Terms and conditions apply.

What information do you need from me?

The most important thing we need from you is a list of sites you’ve worked on and when you worked on them. Don’t worry if you can’t remember everything, we don’t need exact dates and locations, just give as much detail as you can. We also need you to sign three forms for HMRC that allow us to speak to them on your behalf.

To help us work out your claim more quickly, please send us as many items as you can from this checklist. But don’t worry if you’re missing any of these items, we can still make a claim:

  • Copy of your photo ID (driving licence or passport)
  • Proof of address (e.g. utility bill)
  • Wage slips from April 2010 onwards
  • MOT certificate for your vehicle
  • P60 End of Year Certificates from 2010 onwards
  • P45s from 2010 onwards, if you have any
  • Receipts for expenses, if you have them (except fuel)
  • Your contract of employment, if you have one

I haven’t kept any records, can I still claim?

Yes. Just think about your most recent site and work back from there. It might help to think of the time of year, who you were working with or what else was happening at the time. If you’re stuck, please call us - we can do your Forms by Phone for free.

My employer pays some of my travelling expenses, can I still claim?

Usually, yes. The only exception is when your employer has paid you the full 45p per mile, tax free, for the first 10,000 miles in a year and 25p per mile for anything over that. If they've paid less than that, e.g. 10p per mile, then you can claim the difference.

Talk to one of our online advisors

Need help & advice? Call us on01233 628648

What our customers have to say

Adrian Chinnock

£6,494.84 Tax Refund

I saw the RIFT advert in the Sun and though it was worth a shot to see if I was...

Read more >

What our customers have to say

Daniel Dugdale

£1,953.50 Tax Refund

I’m on the books working for Careys at the Lend Lease site in Victoria, London. Getting my tax refund couldn’t...

Read more >

What our customers have to say

Marc Murphy

£3,391.29 Tax Refund

I’m a plumber by trade and I recently got £3,391.29 from a 4 year claim and I’ve no idea what...

Read more >

What our customers have to say

Colin Bruce

£2,760.83 Tax Refund

When the JIB sent me a leaflet, I went on to the RIFT website and used their Live Chat service....

Read more >

Tax talk

Keep up-to-date with our tax refund advice and tips

More about us
CPD MemberAAT Accredited EmployerCSCS SupporterKent Invicta Chamber of Commerce Business Award 2012