Your Tax Refund Explained

Your Tax Refund Explained

Am I Due a Tax Refund?

A tax refund or tax rebate is a refund on taxes when the tax liability is less than the taxes paid. By law, if you're travelling to temporary workplaces and paying to make your own way there, you could get a tax refund. On average, a 4-year tax refund claimed through RIFT amounts to £2,500.

Do I Qualify For A Tax Refund? 

Reviews extended banner1

Currently you can claim tax back for the following tax years:

You can find out more about whether you are due a tax rebate by taking our simple test or read more information below. You can get an idea of what you might be able to claim back from our tax refund calculator

It doesn't even stop with travel. You might be owed expenses for things like washing your work uniform or buying your lunch that you could claim a tax refund for. RIFT Refunds can even get tax refunds if you've been made redundant or jobs you've left, if they were in the last 4 years. We’re the experts in claiming tax refunds, so get in touch to see if you can get a tax rebate and save income.

If you're a RIFT customer already and you've had your yearly reminder that it's time to start your 2015/16 claim, visit myRIFT to fill in your information for your claim.

What Kinds of People Can Claim a Tax Refund?

Often people wonder 'Are tax refunds legal?' and the answer is 100% yes! It makes no difference what your job is; if your employer doesn’t pay your travel expenses in full, you could get a tax rebate. Whether you're looking for an MOD tax refund, PAYE Construction worker tax refund, CIS tax refund , healthcare worker tax refund or any other industry sector, if you're paying out of your own income and work at different locations, you can get tax back for your costs.

Armed Forces Tax Refunds

Construction Worker Tax Refunds

Offshore Worker Tax Refunds

Security Worker Tax Refunds

Other Professions

How Do I Get A Tax Refund?

If you're trying to get a tax refund from HMRC, then you'll need to prove you've overpaid. If you're trying to get tax back for travel expenses to temporary workplaces, a list of everywhere you've worked is a good start. Beyond that, any evidence you can stock up will help prove and speed up your tax refund claim and get you your money back.

Remember that lost documents can often be replaced. Banks should be able to give you copies of statements, and even things like invoices can be reproduced, all helping you get a tax refund from HMRC as quickly as possible. If you can save your documents along the way then even better.

How Do I Know If I'm Paying Too Much Tax?

Are you working PAYE (your employer takes tax from your wages before paying you in the form of income tax) and paying some travel costs yourself? If so, you could get a tax refund. Even if you get a mileage allowance, if it’s not at HMRC's standard rate you can claim the difference in tax back! 

Why Might I Not Qualify For a Tax Rebate?

Tell us a bit about your situation and we can quickly let you know if you should claim a tax rebate.

Is It Complicated to Claim A Tax Refund?

The taxman's rules can be messy and complex. If you want to stay in his good books, you need to know exactly what you're entitled to but we can help you with your tax refund paper work.

With Rift Refunds, finding out if you can get tax back is easy and it's free. You can talk to one of our friendly advisors right now or we can call you if that's easier. It won’t cost you anything to find out if you can get a tax rebate and you never know - you might get a nice lot of tax back from HMRC!

If your annual expenses are over £2,500 then it’s a bit more complicated.  Instead of just submitting a tax refund claim you have to complete a self assessment tax return for HMRC. If you have to do that yourself it’s quite a lot of extra work and hassle.  There’s no need to worry about that though; if we do it you won’t even notice the difference.

What does a RIFT Tax Refund cost?

Our standard charges are:

We take the hassle out of tax, making sure that you get back all the money you’re owed. Have a look at our full list of options and fees. It costs nothing to find out if you have a claim.

I think I'm eligible for a tax rebate, what do I do next?

If it sounds like you could get a tax rebate, click the button below to get started. If you prefer, call us so we can take your details over the phone on 01233 628648. Get in touch today.

Start My Tax Refund Claim Now

Need help or advice?

Talk to one of our online advisors

01233 628648

Mon - Thurs: 8:30am - 8:30pm
Fri: 8.30am - 6:00pm
Sat: 9:00am - 1.00pm

RIFT to 80010

What our customers have to say

Adrian Chinnock, 57 from Somerset

£6,494.84 Tax Refund

I saw the RIFT advert in the Sun and though it was worth a shot to see if I was...

Read more >

What our customers have to say

Dean Morgan, 30, plays for Wycombe Wanderers

£28,569.09 Tax Refund

RIFT have helped me out for years now. I’ve got a refund every year for 10 years and I’m always...

Read more >

What our customers have to say

Mark Debono, 29 from Essex

£2,345.78 Tax Refund

The RIFT flyer came with my new ECS card, I thought I’d give them a try because they were cheaper...

Read more >

What our customers have to say

Kevin Kinson, 49 from South Shields

£3,597 Tax Refund

I’ve worked on the rigs for years now and I first heard about RIFT from a friend on site who...

Read more >

What our customers have to say

Lee Smith, 22, Ex-Lance Corporal

£2,724.37 Tax Refund

I joined the Army when I was 16 and heard about RIFT through a colleague at my barracks. I’ve travelled...

Read more >

More about us
MegaGrowth50 - one of the 50 fastest growing businesses in Kent 2015Winner of KEiBA customer service and commitment award 2015ABF The Soldiers' CharityThe institute of customer service (ICS) memberCPD MemberAAT Accredited EmployerKEiBA sponsorCSCS Supporter